My neighbor and benzos

So my neighbor takes 1 mg of Ativan 3 times a day. Does not take any anti depressants as he says just the benzos ‘do the trick’..clear his head and take away the anxiety that leads to depression. Anyone ever hear of such a thing?

1964dodge

Has a frog in the family
Safety & Support
SF Supporter
benzo's work on people differently. as with depression there are many different reasons for depression. most of my depression comes from high pain levels as well as chronic illnesses. if i could have my body of 20 years ago i would have little or no depression. so if your neighbor's reason for depression is anxiety then the benzos would do the trick.

sometimes we can identify why anxiety attacks us. like a bill we can't pay, a sick child, or health etc. but in a lot of cases we can't tell why anxiety is so bad.

so everyone should talk to their doctor/therapist and try to figure out the best meds for their own personal situation. at least that's my opinion

mike...*hug*shake

benzo's work on people differently. as with depression there are many different reasons for depression. most of my depression comes from high pain levels as well as chronic illnesses. if i could have my body of 20 years ago i would have little or no depression. so if your neighbor's reason for depression is anxiety then the benzos would do the trick.

sometimes we can identify why anxiety attacks us. like a bill we can't pay, a sick child, or health etc. but in a lot of cases we can't tell why anxiety is so bad.

so everyone should talk to their doctor/therapist and try to figure out the best meds for their own personal situation. at least that's my opinion

mike...*hug*shake
Well if you can believe it, he told me his troubles started 20 years ago when his fiancé broke up with him right before the wedding. He then developed a ptsd of sorts. The rest is history...been on Ativan ever since.

SillyOldBear

Teddy Bears Rule! 🐻
Staff Alumni
I take 1/2 mg of Ativan as rarely as possible. My doctor limits the amount I have because it is so addictive. I wish it wasn't. I would love to be able to take a mg every day. I would feel so much better. But you also build up a tolerance to it and have to keep taking more and more. So I am glad my doctors controls what I have available. You have to be very careful with it.

1964dodge

Has a frog in the family
Safety & Support
SF Supporter
Well if you can believe it, he told me his troubles started 20 years ago when his fiancé broke up with him right before the wedding. He then developed a ptsd of sorts. The rest is history...been on Ativan ever since.
if it works for him that's all that matters. he probably would have done better with therapy but that's up to their doctor.

mike...*hug*shake

I take 1/2 mg of Ativan as rarely as possible. My doctor limits the amount I have because it is so addictive. I wish it wasn't. I would love to be able to take a mg every day. I would feel so much better. But you also build up a tolerance to it and have to keep taking more and more. So I am glad my doctors controls what I have available. You have to be very careful with it.
Well everyones story is different. I assume he figures that since he has been on it so long and now that he is 63, why suffer in trying to get off. In my case, I am also 63 and my lifespan is limited by an aggressive autoimmune disease so I may have 10-15 years left....tops, so who cares...quality versus quantity.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$135.00
Goal
$255.00