My Psychiatrist

Discussion in 'Grief and Bereavement' started by texaskitty, Feb 11, 2015.

1. texaskitty

texaskitty SF Friend and Antiquities Friend Staff Member Safety & Support SF Supporter

My psychiatrist of 12 plus years passed away due to a massive stroke.

This has been devestating to me. Not only was he my doctor he was my friend. Such a long association between the two of us, fighting to keep me alive and sane and healthy. He was such a good doc.

I miss him so much firstly for those reasons.

Second is I am having troubles finding a new pdoc. There are none on my plan under 100 miles from where I live. That means I will have to find one out of network. I don't even know how that works.

Third is I am currently under disability review I don't know how this will affect it.

All in all it makes me sad and stressed at the same time.
  2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

oh that is so hard hun I am sorry you loss your friend and someone that cared for you Can you talk to your general doctor to get a referral hope so
    so much stress hugs
  3. AAA3330

AAA3330 Well-Known Member

I'm sorry for the loss of your doctor. At least here in the USA they won't take away your disability unless they have proof of improvement. I'm on disability for Schizophrenia and before my last review wasn't even seeing a psychiatrist, but getting my meds from a family doctor, so you shouldn't have anything to worry about there.
  4. Terry

Terry Antiquities Friend Staff Alumni

Oh Angie what a loss :hug:
  5. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

I am very sorry for your loss. May be rest in peace.

100 miles is quite far so I can understand your worries, talking to the general practitioner and see what can be done, good luck with your review.
  6. SillyOldBear

SillyOldBear Teddy Bear Fanatic Staff Member Safety & Support

So sorry for your loss. All those years building a relationship and trust and now he is gone. I wish you and his family the best during this time. I know it adds more complications to your life when you really don't need any more. But keep up the fight. Hugs!
  7. Acy

Acy Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense Staff Member Safety & Support

I'm so sorry! That's a hard loss - a friend and a good doctor. :arms:
  8. scaryforest

scaryforest Banned Member

texas, hi, we spoke in chat slightly?

for the new psych person, what about online ones? like skype chat ones or call ones? there are good online ones

for the one you had, condolences
  9. DrownedFishOnFire

DrownedFishOnFire Quieta non movere

Sotry about your loss. Finding a pdoc under same plan is difficult. I am currently trying to find a pdoc and havent been successful.
  10. TrentGrad

TrentGrad Well-Known Member

I'm sorry to hear that. I can relate to needing to find a new doctor, being under a disability review and losing your connection to a psychiatrist that you trusted. I hope it all works out for you.