need some help

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Blackgolfclub, Mar 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blackgolfclub

Blackgolfclub New Member

hi im new on this forum and i dont realy know how to start so ill just get right to it.
    ive been having realy bad changes in mood recently (its always been a problem but its gotten particularly worse recently) and im not sure if its some sort of disorder or just weird teenage hormones so ill just describe it and see if anyone has similar experiences because i dont think i can function if this continues. the way it goes for me is that every couple of days i go into a deep deppression or i get realy paranoid and anxious and the last time i couldnt stop shaking. id realy appreciate any advice
  2. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Hi there and welcome to the forum. I am Lynn, it's nice to ''meet'' you :)
    I am sorry to hear of the distress you are going through. I suffer from anxiety and occasionally paranoia at times. Anti psychotic and anti anxiety medications help me a lot. Would you consider getting help from your general doctor? They will know exactly what's going on for you and while we can help here it's not a substitute for professional help. I hope things start to improve for you soon. Being suicidal certainly is not easy and either is anxiety but together we can get you through this rough patch in your life *hugs*
    AdamTide likes this.
  3. AdamTide

AdamTide Well-Known Member

First off I want to tell you that everything is going to be ok. I know how crippling depression and anxiety can be. But there IS hope. Thinking positively can help in a big way. Tell yourself that you are going to be ok. Realize that you're doing your very best. Think happy thoughts. Focus on something you enjoy. Listen to uplifting and comforting music. Rockabye by Shawn Mullins is a great one. He sings "everything's gonna be alright". And it is. You're going to be fine. :) You are a good person who deserves happiness. Also, talking to a therapist can help a lot as can taking the right medicine as prescribed by a doctor. It may also help you to write or sing or go for a scenic walk. Just anything you want. We care about you here and want to help. PM me if you ever need to. hug
  4. Blackgolfclub

Blackgolfclub New Member

thanks for the reply i do want to see a professional but its still another year in my country before they are no longer obligated to tell my parents anything they find out
  5. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

OK. I understand, how do you think your parents would react if you told them you were suffering with depression? I said this earlier to another minor here, your parents would want to help you and be there for you rather than have to deal with the loss of a child through suicide. I think you need to weigh up your options and be completely sure you will be fine if you wait another full year without treatment. Mental illness untreated has a tendency to worsen it as well. Please bear that in mind before making any decision and no need to thank me hun, I'm just trying to help out a fellow sufferer. *big hugs*
    AdamTide likes this.
  6. ThePhantomLady

ThePhantomLady Safety and Support SF Supporter

Hi, and welcome to the forum!

Firstly I am going to second Petal's advice. The longer you leave it, the worse it can get. Why would you not want your parents to know?

It does sound like you are suffering with anxiety. I have been doing that for a long time myself. I am not on meds (though I probably should be) but I am aware how much they can help you. And so can proper therapeutic treatment. You can learn skills to deal with the attacks. Not every method works for everyone.

When I get a panic attack I put a hand on my chest and try to focus on moving my hand with my breathing. It gets my breathing under control.

My therapist taught me about the 'Butterfly Hug'. That is when you cross your arms over your chest and lightly let your fingers press on your upper arms, one by one in a slow steady pace.

A method that works for my boyfriend is what is sometimes known as the 'grounding method'. (since his aphasia gets really bad I only take him through a light version of this if I'm with him when he freaks out). But here goes the theory:

Look around you, find 3 objects and describe them. What is their shape? Their colour? Size?
    Grab 2 things near you, feel it. What is the texture like? is it hot or cold? heavy or light?
    Smell or taste something. Describe the scent or taste, if you tasted something, how does it feel in your mouth?

Usually with him we only get to the 2nd step.

But I really will advice you to see your doctor about this.
  7. AdamTide

AdamTide Well-Known Member

I may try that myself Lady. Thanks !
    ThePhantomLady likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.