Never ending battle

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by carebear32, Dec 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. carebear32

carebear32 Well-Known Member

I've been really struggling with Major Depression since I was a teenager. Only in the last 2 years have I been put on medication for it, so it's still a little unstable. I live in a world of 80's music (just because that's what I listen to) It reminds me of times long gone. When I was a child under 10. My only problem is the more I listen to it in the last year, the more depressed I get. I find myself crying my eyes out almost uncontrollably to songs that never used to effect me that way. Added to that I have Social Anxiety Disorder, so I'm a very lonely soul with very few friends and no trust in people.
  2. Sadeyes

Sadeyes Staff Alumni

Carebear, have you spoken to your pdoc about the medication? Maybe s/he might want to change the meds so you get more relief
  3. MisterBGone

Hey, I loved being a child of the 80's & so that type of music always puts me in a good mood, too! However, if it's beginning to bring you down, then perhaps a temporary change in genres might be a breath of fresh air? I don't have great advice on the antidepressants, as I have been on many, with next to no success, but from what I understand from those who've found success, is that it can sometimes take a while (going through a few different medications) before you find the one that is right for you.
    Good Luck-
  4. carebear32

@ sadeyes: I'm due to see my pdoc again in January as he is fully booked and I have no money. I do want to ask him at least up my meds. @MisterBGone: in the last year or so I've started listening to classic rock and heavy metal, but how odd is it that the songs I love were also released in the 80's? A lot of what I try to listen to now is 70's heavy metal and rock. I refuse to listen to 90's as it has too many bad memories attached to the decade in general.
  5. TheDayThatNeverComes

TheDayThatNeverComes Active Member

Well,no wonder the music you enjoy is all from the 80s. Todays music is crap. Anything released after the year 2000 is poop,imho.
  6. carebear32

LOL!! I couldn't agree with you more on that point. It's like musicians nower days have no imagination of their own.
  7. ddman

ddman Member

Carebear, I feel for you. during the past 3 years, I've realized I've suffered from depression most of my life. That's at least 45 years. My most recent episode was in September this year where i voluntarily was hospitalized. It helped a lot.
    I've also taken some positive steps. I've begun to seriously weight train, call my family more, and taking vitamin supplements. My vitamin D was found to be very low and I sincerely believe that was part of my problem.
    Sometimes we have to force ourselves to be around other folks. I try to mingle with healthy, positive people and it has helped tremendously.

I wish you well.
  8. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

HI Carebear32 yeah i like the old music too hun i don't undrsatnd the stuff they put out today really Hope your doc ups you meds or puts on a add on to help increase the effect
    hugs to you
  9. MisterBGone

Lots of great rock music from that era! Keep listening to it & do whatever makes you feel good! I can't listen to 90's anything either, I liked it I guess--in the 90's...(but now I just can't relate?)? Music is highly therapeutic for me, and I wish there were better musicians working to-day (I'm sure there are, but I don't know where they are) so that I could discover them and enjoy something new.
    Take care carebear32!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.