No friends

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Ljt, Jun 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ljt

Ljt Well-Known Member

Hi, had my best friend turn their back on me when I confided in then about my depression. Stopped talking to me removed me from social media etc.. All for telling them how I feel and them saying they are there for me, I never even told them a lot and they don't want to know me now.

I have no one to talk to or confide in and I am getting the feeling of depression again. My meds keep me kind of ok but now I am getting back to square one. I think and know that if I wasn't here no one would even notice or care.

Has anyone had friends turn their back on them because of their depression.
  2. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

I'm sorry that happened to's happened to me a lot, too. Now I only have friends on this site, but I'm glad I do have them at least, because it makes me feel less alone. I don't know if writing out your feelings here helps you, but it helps me when I do it. If you need to talk about anything at any time, I'll be here to listen.
  3. Unknown_111

Unknown_111 Forum Buddy Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Hi, same here the only people who are kind are the ones on this forum. Struggling with depression is hard but do not think you have to struggle everyday on your own. Everyone puts on a happy smiley face but they struggle everyday in their own crisis. Trust me, you have a lot friends here and do not think your are on your own. Just keep posting here or speak to someone on a helpline.

If your friend does not understand what you are going through, then please do not think bad of them. Perhaps they do not understand what you are going through. Perhaps in time when you are better, you can re approach them and explain. If they do not understand, then it's their loss not yours. Remember there are billions of people on this planet so do not let one person have an effect on you. Keep posting and take care.
  4. demuredawn

demuredawn Well-Known Member

I think all of us have had that happen to us.. I've even had family members do that to me. It hurts, and it hurts bad. I'm not going to say you ever get over it, but you do get through it, and you ever grow stronger from it.. I hope you will continue reaching out here ..
  5. Ljt

Ljt Well-Known Member

Hi everyone. Thanks for your replies. I came of a Nightshift last night and felt very depressed and fed up.
  6. Ljt

Ljt Well-Known Member

Really ready to start climbing the walls, part of me feels like i am sinking under pressure and the other part feels like I should end it all.

I can't stand this feeling inside of stuck in 2 minds. I want to end things as I am always depressed and the other part wants me to burst out crying and let everything out. I can't do either. I think I need help badly.
  7. Unknown_111

Hi, you are not alone in your suffering. If you want to cry then that's ok as it a form of releasing the anguish you are suffering. Do not feel shame about crying as it's ok.

Yes, you feel low but you need to focus on living and forget the negative thoughts your are feeling. You hVe friends on this forum.
  8. Ljt

Ljt Well-Known Member

Thanks for your words crisis.

My mind keeps wandering to things I have said and done. Especially with how I feel and it just makes me feel pathetic. Sonetimes I think its a good things not to have any friends as they will just think I am a waste of space and a pathetic person.
  9. Acy

Acy Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense Staff Member Safety & Support

Ljt, I'm sorry your friend turned away from you. Yes, when people are like that, it hurts! You are not a waste of space or a pathetic person! People who would think way might not be people who would make good friends anyway. :hug:

Do you have any social connections? Things like volunteering, interest clubs, place of worship, amateur sports teams are all good places to meet people. Activities where we help others or do things in common with others are good ice breakers and help friendships form. If you're feeling up to it, they are good ways to be around people and to start feeling like we can trust and be welcomed!

You are always welcome here on SF!

All the best, sweetie! :arms:
  10. Unknown_111

Hi Ljt.
    You are welcome. You are NOT a waste of space but an individual who has right to live. People do things and say things which meant no hurt. We all make mistakes and people who cannot forgive, then they have issues. Please do not fret as you are worth alot. Don't worry about anything or anyone. Just smile and enjoy your life. Take care.
  11. JV3

JV3 Well-Known Member

I've lost a lot of friends over the years because my various bouts with depression. I used to have quite the group of friends who were genuinely concerned for me for a long time in high school. One day, it was as if all of them at once decided that I was faking it because I wasn't getting better quick enough or that they were enabling me. I lost nearly every one of my friends at once, and in the long run it helped me eventually be a little more self-sufficient, but when it initially happened it just made me that much more introverted and that much more depressed. I had a similar thing happen in college but it wasn't as bad and didn't involve as many people.

Ultimately, I think people flee from things they don't understand. People often just view life through their own lens, but they fail to even acknowledge that people experience life in many different ways. While I understood the people who let me and their frustration, and while I have forgiven them, I still don't think their choice of action by just abandoning me was the right thing to do. Unfortunately, I can't go back and change the past, but what I have been able to do is make a greater effort to be there for those who have had those same struggles. Even people who deal with depression can experience it in a lot of different ways, some that I don't even understand, but I know that just because I may not understand it - it doesn't mean it's not a big deal to them.

So, in short, I suppose what I can say is so many people have gone through what you're going through, but at least when the time comes you know you can be a better friend than what others have shown you.
  12. Ljt

Ljt Well-Known Member

Hi. Thanks for your words of support folks. It's much appreciated. I think I am best to keep myself to myself and keep my head down out of the way of people and then people can't talk about me or think I am a loser.

I find it interesting that people who don't even know me and have never met me have been the kindest and most helpful to me so far. For that I thank you all.
  13. islandification

islandification Well-Known Member

It could be this person wasn't really your best friend. Sometimes we badly want the approval or companionship of someone we admire for some quality or enjoy spending time with and miss red flags along the way. I can 100% say there are people who would care if you weren't around, but not always the people you expect.
  14. Ljt

Ljt Well-Known Member

Hi island, thanks for your comment. I think I am slowly starting to realise that not everyone who says they are your friend are actually your friend. If you know what I mean
  15. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Yes,in fact because my depression was so severe with suicide attempts, friends did turn their back on me, but right now I have one good friend who I can confide in and she will listen. But trust me I know what it feels like to have people turn their back and to be left alone. What you need to do hun is maybe meet like-minded people such as on here,people that understand and aren't in fear of what you are talking about. The best friends I have ever had are on this best of luck.
  16. Rat

Rat Banned Member

What you need is success. Let friends alone!
  17. Ljt

Ljt Well-Known Member

Thanks music. Sometimes I think it's just best it's me on my own. That way I can't be let down :)
  18. Ljt

Ljt Well-Known Member

Why am I being ignored by people who judge me and believe what other people say. And why are people so nasty to talk about you so that you lose all your friends.
  19. Unknown_111

Hi Ljt, society is like that. People who you think are friends can turn on you. They can get horrible. If people who believe the gossip are definitely not friends. You should not believe the rumour mill. It plagues your mind and can cause isolation. True friends will not judge you but help you in your time of crisis. I do not think you get worried about people who listen to rumours. Remember there two billion people on this earth, so why let a few people hurt you. You can make new friends.
  20. Buster82

Buster82 New Member

Hi ljt, and everyone else.
    I can relate to you ljt. I know what its like to have no friends. I am new to this forum, but have been suffering severe depression for years. I guess because I dont drink or like sports, nobody is interested in being my friend. I have also been told I am a downer, which means my depression brings others down. a few of MY biggest problems is my teeth, I have no upper teeth and only 6 lower teeth in the bottom front. I dont smile, Its rare that I talk, and because of that I have a very low tone voice, and a deviated septum which gives me a huge complex about talking. I have a very hard time being around people, I cant look other people in the eyes, my speech is slurred when I do talk because im so nervous. I also have a fear of confrontation. honestly, I have a fear of EVERYTHING. people, bees, bugs, loud noises, large bodies of water, spiders, etc. I dont get it. I dont know what is wrong with me. I have 2 daughters from a past marriage and I think they are the only thing keeping me from offing myself. my ex wife literately slept with all of my friends, which is the biggest reason I dont have any. Apparently getting their dicks wet was more important than our friendship, and the fucked up thing is I was always the type of person to give the shirt off my back for anyone.
    I am currently not working, I am TRYING to persue a career as a truck driver, I took my 2 week course which was very challenging and now im waiting on my driving time and road test which I am afraid I will fail, not only because I have zero confidence, but I get so SO nervous that I usually screw things up.
    Anyway.. you are not alone ljt, and you have a friend in me, you can message me if you want to talk. I wish it were as easy as just smile and enjoy life, I really do.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.