This was a difficult weekend. The anniversary of the columbine shooting is always a sore thing for me. It shouldn't be as I was no where near the school when it took place, but I did experience alot of harsh judgment from students and teachers in the wake of it. It was like people were looking for someone to blame for it or something.
But in the last decade, the day that happened has come to mean something else. Back in 2014, on 4/20 I was almost a week into a recovery program for my addiction to alcohol. We had stopped at a Walmart after going to this church and there was a gamestop in the area. I went in but couldn't buy anything as I didn't have any money or a game system. But I had made a promise to come back someday to that particular store.
So this past Saturday, ten years on the day I made that promise, I returned. I suppose despite feeling currently unsure about my life, it at least felt good to be in a somewhat better place a decade later. I should also note that April 20th,2015 is when I graduated from the recovery program. I have a hard time seeing it as an achievement, partly because I relapsed in 2017, but I know in some ways it still is.
Anyway,sorry for writing so much. I'm trying to at least not dread this new week.
I think that, most (or many) people do relapse,
@sadhart - & multiple times at that... So, anyway - maybe it's okay to give yourself a break, from time to time, even though I know it can feel a rather very unnatural thing to do? I do remember that date & that time as well. I was in college & the high school I was working with, well that particular year's class of seniors, I kind of always place it, within that time frame & everything, with them. Which is rather here nor (for or to you, I realize & I understand). But just so: I remember it well, too ~is all.
I see you had a different reason for associating &/or association with it. But I'm glad for all of the hard work you've put in. I don' t know how you work your way around or better through the social anxiety. My inclination "might be," to try & just 'blast,' or (to) 'plow,' through~ / but I know that's not going to work for every-one. And heck--it might or may not even work for me, at various points & times of my life. In particular when Depression has got me by its shackles.
So anyway, I hope you can find your way--some way--whatever way that is. To help make this a little easier on you. And not such a hindrance on your life. Such that it affects you in not so wonderful ways. I do think we can over-think things. And sometimes, that can be a detriment. Especially when we don't make it part of our routine, or habit, to normally or otherwise, do a whole lot of "under-thinking," if you will?
Anyways, try & keep your head up, as best you can. For the alternative is no fun. Trust me, I've been there. Many times & often. Usually just try & not get stuck - so that I don't lose years off at a time. But? What is one to do! (some times) . . .