Now what...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Animosus
My therapist finally told me I was autistic after I pestered him about what was causing some of my issues. I kinda suspected all along. but now it's driving me crazy. I keep focusing on what thoughts are autistic and aren't autistic, which drives me crazy because I can't tell. and it driving me crazy might in turn be a symptom. but I can't know for sure. which drives me crazy. It's an endless, vicious, painful cycle

yeah, but it comes back after a bit
Learning and practicing a meditation technique might help you. In many meditation practices, you learn to simply observe thoughts as they arise, and then let them go.

Maybe you would like to try a group meditation practice.

Your therapist may also have some thoughts about what to do.

Animosus
Learning and practicing a meditation technique might help you. In many meditation practices, you learn to simply observe thoughts as they arise, and then let them go.

Maybe you would like to try a group meditation practice.

Your therapist may also have some thoughts about what to do.
Maybe. no group meditation though. I get too self conscious
In what way does your autism play in ?
That's just the thing. I don't know in what way

Petal

~*Mod Extraordinaire*~
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Hi there @666

I'm wondering the same question as asked above, how did the therapist come to that conclusion?

Is it a therapist or a psychiatrist because from what I know and understand a therapist is not allowed to diagnose.

Were you put on any medication? So sorry you are going through all this, you don't deserve it.

Animosus
he is a psychologist. what happened was I told him I thought I might have borderline. so he pulled out the dsm-5, and showed me how I didn't quite have borderline. Then he pulled out the dsm-4, and showed me I was a perfect fit for mild aspergers, which doesn't exist in the dsm-5. all cases of asperers are now just autism, as I understand it. And no, I haven't been put on medication, though I'm already on an SSRI for my depression

Petal

~*Mod Extraordinaire*~
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
I see, what is the treatment he recommends for it? Is the SSRI helping much do you think?
To be honest I thin you need to get properly by a psychiatrist to back up what the psychologist said.

Walker

Admin
SF Social Media
SF Author
SF Supporter
Well ya know what? The fact is, there's a long scale of autism and it's symptoms and there's a whole lot of very high functioning people who use their street skills quite well as adults. You too can be one of those folks. You do have some thinking to do on a broad scale to get your shit together and I realize that but don't let a diagnosis dictate who or what you can become. You're you and that's plenty.

Animosus
I see, what is the treatment he recommends for it? Is the SSRI helping much do you think?
To be honest I thin you need to get properly by a psychiatrist to back up what the psychologist said.
I honestly don't know. I probably should, but... I don't think my parents would send me to one unless I told them why, and I'm not great talking to them

dandelion s

RAW, well done
SF Supporter
sorry 666, i feel as if i’m sneaking in on this conversation. i rarely comment on posts. i just want to mention that as far as diagnoses go, i have a few and i’ve been told that they are all not conclusive - so maybe they are not really diagnoses. one i reject altogether and one i was told i was close to but not actually there - BPD like you mentioned above. This makes me wonder about diagnoses in general. then when reading explanations of various disorders there seems to be so much overlap and room for interpretations and mistakes. maybe you should consider what they say you are as merely speculation on their part. for myself today i decided to not quit everything like i have been saying all over SF in the past several days because my care coordinator at my new insurance company in giving me a list of therapists also provided one place that turned out to not be a therapist but a place that does psychological testing and diagnosing. it is run by a psychologist (phd) so as mentioned above, do i trust or not? but anyway i will hopefully get to go there and find out the big “so what” and get a better idea of what i am in terms of letters. I will tell you how it goes. but i am wondering if you have gone through any psych testing and what the results were and by whom performed etc. I am hoping my results will be helpful for you. i have never come across a testing place like this and i would recommend it but i already know you are in a different geographical location!! but if there is one here there may be another elsewhere.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$145.00
Goal
$255.00