Obama's approval among Arabs plummets; worse than during the Bush regime

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prinnctopher's Belt

Antiquities Friend
SF Supporter
Published: July 13, 2011 at 12:49 PM

WASHINGTON, July 13 (UPI) -- Arab hopes for President Barack Obama have soured and anti-American feeling is worse than during the Bush administration, a pollster said Wednesday.

The Israel-Palestine issue continues to darken Arab attitudes toward the United States, aggravated by the killing of Osama bin Laden, the poll carried out by Zogby International for the Arab American Institute Foundation indicated.

Obama's approval ratings were 10 percent or lower among 4,000 respondents surveyed in Egypt, Lebanon, Jordan, Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates and Morocco. He ranked below Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan and French President Nicolas Sarkozy.

Respondents said "the continuing occupation of Palestinian lands" and "U.S. interference in the Arab world" were the greatest threats to the Middle East, and American policy on issues from Libya to Iraq was condemned.

James Zogby, head of the Arab American Institute, said the high hopes raised by Obama's Cairo speech in 2009 had been dashed.

The survey was taken in June; Zogby did not give a margin of error.

http://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2011...bs-plummets/UPI-74411310575744/#ixzz1S1GgZSjG

NiceGuYKC

This is weird to me because I'm irish. Obama is loved in Ireland.
You should of seen the welcome he got here during his visit.

Zurkhardo

While the US has certainly betrayed the best interests in that region - propping up dictators, perpetrating rendition, and tacitly condoning Israel's actions - I think Arabs are expecting a bit more from us than is reasonable. Putting Obama on a lower footing than Iran's oppressive president, for example, strikes me as an egregious double-standard (especially as that regime is also behind many de-stabilizing elements in the region, arguably more so than ourselves).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$110.00
Goal
$255.00