October 27

Discussion in 'Grief and Bereavement' started by pickwithaustin, Oct 27, 2012.

1. pickwithaustin

pickwithaustin Staff Alumni

Today marks exactly two years since we lost my son, Alan Carter, to suicide. His memory lives on through his foundation and in memory of all the good that he did while he was alive. Many things have been achieved to help others in his name and his memory is strong every moment of every single day.

Alan was 18 when he left us the morning of October 27, 2010.

2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

Hugs to you hun I am so sorry for you loss I am glad you were able to start a foundation in your sons name to keep his memory alive and to help others too hun I hope you are healing hung i know anniversaries are so hard.

3. pickwithaustin

Thank you, Total Eclipse. You always respond to people with good encouragement.

Dates like this are always tough. My son's dog passed away 3 or 4 months ago as well... and my father died a few months back also. It's been a rough time, but life has to continue. I imagine that during times of war, may people lost loved ones unexpected and with great grief. Life is a challenge that we all must face. Strength comes from understanding that we can go on. We can make a difference for ourselves, as well as for others.

4. Samara

Samara Account Closed

I am so glad that you chose to help his memory by encouraging it through the mediums you have, with the foundation, and raising awareness. I am glad that you chose that avenue; because although it's maybe even the hardest one... you are giving a lot to others by doing it, and giving a lot still to and for your son that has passed, in this as well.

:hug:

5. youRprecious!

youRprecious! Antiquities Friend

Big Hugs PWAustin, I know it is hard ....... you have the best attitude :Strength comes from understanding we can go on"........ it's wonderful to know that :). We have to have faith that what looks like the end is actually not the end as we previously would have said, but the start of something new. It helps us redefine our outlook on so many things.

6. Songie

Songie Well-Known Member

I'm sorry for your loss. And proud. Of the things you've done to help others that are struggling. You're truly an inspiration to me, pick. I hope one day i'll be as strong as you are.

7. pickwithaustin

Again, thank you all for your kind words.

Tomorrow is the OUT OF THE DARKNESS walk here in Austin, Texas. This walk is designed to help promote suicide prevention awareness. It is held every year in many, many different cities. The walk this year in Austin has already raised almost $80,000 (US) for the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention. I am going to be at this walk, with my team of supporters, and with a booth/table where we will be passing out prevention awareness literature and we will be running a free raffle to give away a couple of brand new guitars to kids/teens in attendance. The guitars are donated to us by various stores and guitar companies and they are custom branded with our logo and a picture of my son on each one.

The largest issue that "suicide" faces is the stigma that includes shame, accusations that it is selfish, and ignorance overall. We all accept cancer and other diseases, but people still seem afraid to accept that depression is a serious matter. I aim to change that through many things - most of which I won't discuss here, but all with very powerful and long term destinations. For those of you here who suffer depression and suicidal thoughts, I understand and I want other people to understand. I know that the saying, "Things get better," bothers many... and that's not what I am here to say. My mission and goal is to make communities aware of the plight of individuals who are suffering and to try to help build better avenues for support.

My son did not die in vain.

8. gentlelady

gentlelady Staff Alumni

I wish you luck in your walk and other endeavors tomorrow. No words can ever tale away the pain, but do know that what you have undertaken has had an effect on many people. You are right, because of you and those you have found to help champion your cause, your son did not did in vain. You have honored his memory in ways seldom people can. I am with you and team Alan in spirit tomorrow. :hug:

9. gentlelady

gentlelady Staff Alumni

How did things go?

10. pickwithaustin

It doesn't start for a few more hours. It is only 11am over here in Texas. :p

11. gentlelady

gentlelady Staff Alumni

Oops lol. Got a little ahead of myself there :)

12. Lifeisagift

Lifeisagift Well-Known Member

Thank you so much for keep fighting against suicide. May God take care of your son.
    Thank you for everything you do for all of us here, and around you.

13. pickwithaustin

The event went really well. HUGE turn out (in the thousands of people). I took a lot of photos and we shot some video, but I don't think I can share here without breaking site rules. At any rate, awareness is vital toward a cure.

We did a free raffle, by the way, and a teenage boy won the guitar we were giving away. He seemed thrilled!

14. Acy

Acy Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense Staff Member Safety & Support

So glad to hear you had so such a wonderful turn out! The free raffle - another lovely and meaningful way you have paid tribute to your son! :hug:

15. IWonder

IWonder Member

I'm sorry for your loss and applaud you for the strength you have shown in helping others and raising awareness. Your post caught my eye because October 27th (in 2007) was the date of my most serious suicide attempt (following which I was hospitalized for 5 days) too. I have had ups and downs since then, but feel overall that I have got better and keep getting better. Thank you again for the wonderful work you are doing and keep it up!

16. pickwithaustin

Thank you, IWonder, for being here and for working toward goals of wellness. I am pleased that things are improving. In most situations, they always do. We lost a little 15 year old girl this week in my community to suicide - I just returned from her funeral, in fact. I am filled with great sadness. My son's birthday would have been in several days from today too... which makes December and Christmas "holidays" pretty bleak for me here. There is much to be done to address the causes and the effect that lead to suicidal thoughts. My son at least gave to me a purpose, but at so high a cost.

17. gentlelady

gentlelady Staff Alumni

No words can express the emptiness that is left nor can they help to fill that void. Just know that you are not alone in this pain. :hug: