On going to sleep when sad

SaFa61947

Kaiser Franz
Lots of people who have depression have trouble with sleep, I'm no exception.

Sometimes I would have a regular sleep, I'm not sleep deprived at all, but some event puts me in a depressive state, such as being rejected, or being yelled at by my boss. When that happens I usually eat unhealthy stuff, which adds to my weight and makes me feel even worse for giving in to the craving of chocolate, or whatever it was that I binged to feel better. Usually I feel so bad that the only solution is to take a nap. I usually don't wake up whistling of joy but a little refreshed, sometimes less anxious.

When I lived with my parents I wanted to sleep and never wake up. I hated mornings, having to wake up and see my parents in the kitchen, being a failure for having no job or career. Sometimes I would stay in bed and force myself to sleep until noon just so I wouldn't have to see anyone when I wake up, or I wait a little later when chances are people left the house.

The reason of this post, is that I was thinking about this and it dawned on me... Last week I was feeling bad and insecure, self-loathing and blaming myself for things I didn't do wrong. I was depressed but I more of like let people depress me. I didn't stand my ground. Sometimes this is enough to let me in a spiral of depression.

Then my eyelids felt heavy and I thought of going to sleep even though it was a holiday and I had plenty of sleep. And I thought: "not this time". I forced myself to do some chores, fixed the motorbike and even went for a walk not in the mood. By the end of the day I felt better and I went to sleep a little happy.

My point... If you have, say 5 problems that are putting you down, going to sleep will give time to the problems to either remain the same state as they were, or sometimes problems gets worse if you wait -- think of not talking to someone after a discussion.

I propose here to myself, and to others struggling with depression, do not go to sleep if you do not feel sleepy. Do not use it to "cure" your depression because often times, you are depressed by a very real reasons, for example, someone yelled at you. And the fact that someone yelled at you will still be true when you wake up, even though you can sleep and dream that you were a king and people were bowing and paying respects, when you wake up you're still on that same position --- being yelled at and having to deal with it.

Only sleep to rest and recover energy, not to deal with stuff you should pay attention and fix. That's the message I wanted to convey.

OBS: I'm not a doctor, take what you want from this, this post is more to share a perspective than to shame people for sleeping I hope you get the point.

eF577w0mK

As someone with insomnia, I don't relate much to the specific scenario lol , but I do the same in general with procrastination. When I don't want to deal with problems I just watch random videos on youtube for hours on end, and yeah, it doesn't accomplish anything most of the time.

But sometimes it does, you know, and the same happens with sleep. Sometimes I go to bed with the most agonizing existential questions killing me inside, and the next morning I wake up without remembering at all what was bothering me. Of course, those (thoughts and so on) are not "real" (concrete material problems) reasons for being depressed, but sometimes, I don't know, inspiration about how to solve a practical problem strikes me after sleeping or while procrastinating.

I suppose what I'm trying to say is that although sleep (and procrastination) is terrible when what you need is just doing actual work or learning, it may be helpful when you need to process things or change your mood. Though, granted, you can achieve the same effect doing chores or taking a walk, which is more healthy lol

SaFa61947

Kaiser Franz
As someone with insomnia, I don't relate much to the specific scenario lol , but I do the same in general with procrastination. When I don't want to deal with problems I just watch random videos on youtube for hours on end, and yeah, it doesn't accomplish anything most of the time.

But sometimes it does, you know, and the same happens with sleep. Sometimes I go to bed with the most agonizing existential questions killing me inside, and the next morning I wake up without remembering at all what was bothering me. Of course, those (thoughts and so on) are not "real" (concrete material problems) reasons for being depressed, but sometimes, I don't know, inspiration about how to solve a practical problem strikes me after sleeping or while procrastinating.

I suppose what I'm trying to say is that although sleep (and procrastination) is terrible when what you need is just doing actual work or learning, it may be helpful when you need to process things or change your mood. Though, granted, you can achieve the same effect doing chores or taking a walk, which is more healthy lol
I almost feel like deleting this post because it's been only 3 days and I feel so guilty for sleeping that I madly try do deprive myself of it. Truth be told I've been sleeping a lot and like a madam. I sleep a lot when I'm depressed. I guess one thing to make everything worse is to withdraw something that as you said might light a new perspective on things.

It's not good to be without good sleep even if that means sleeping a lot. As of insomnia it really sucks. Gotta get that sweet sleep when you can, take care @SantiagoRC .

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$165.00
Goal
$255.00