One million dead

Lisa the Goatgirl

She's less of an enigma now
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
So i just checked the global death toll and we've done it, we've recently crossed the one million mark. One million people have died from covid. A million. Even actively trying to, it's hard for my brain to comprehend that as anything other than a number. But to understand the number of damaged/ruined lives, the number of bereavements, the amount of suffering, it's horrifying.

This is exactly why i always felt so offended at the indignant response some people gave to the lockdown, or to the idea of being required to wear masks. Because i saw the devastating potential this virus carried. And it makes me so mad to think of the at least dozens of thousands of deaths that probably wouldn't have happened if everyone was capable of respecting the gravity of the situation, and showing a little civic-mindedness. Think of the thousands upon thousands of families destroyed by this. The number of children losing their parents, or vice versa. The number of people losing their partners. The number of people forced to powerlessly watch from another room as their loved ones choke their final desperate breaths.

We will survive through this. On a global scale, these deaths are barely even a dent. Those 1 million deaths are from nearly 35 million confirmed cases. But seeing the way so much of our society reacted to this pandemic - The flouting of covid restrictions, the untold avoidable deaths, the dismissive attitudes, the selfish stockpiling of excessive soap and toilet paper, the countless fake "cures" predatorily feeding on people's fears, the people injured, endangered or killed thanks to attacks on believed 5G network towers...Suffice to say it all served as another very unwelcome knock to my opinion of humanity as a whole. I'm definitely walking away from this pandemic even more jaded on people as a group than i was going in.

1964dodge

Has a frog in the family
Safety & Support
SF Supporter
you are so right about a lot of these deaths being preventable @Optimistic Goatman . i think what some people did was or should have been criminal. hoarding was shameful i don't know how people can live with themselves. we do our shopping monthly so we usually have a month on hand. while there were shortages we only bought a pack of toilet paper or paper towels every time we went out until we got a little ahead. good news is some of the stores are refusing to take these bulk orders back.

and unfortunately it usually isn't the one that refuses to go by guidelines that usually die it's someone that's innocent. my wife and i have a hard time breathing through our mask because of health and age. my wife still wears hers and i do if necessary. so to make it better for us and complying with guidelines we ordered face shields.

and as i said i agree wth you there are some very bad people with this covid issue. but i have seen such kind acts by so many people with my own eyes not to mention what i've read. we had a woman put out bags of groceries including toilet paper and paper towels when it was hard to find, another person made masks and made a sign take what you need. these people weren't well off. not to mention all the front line heath care workers and emergency services. i think there is more good and responsible people with this covid but yea there are a lot of bad people also...mike...*hug*shake

Ouroboros

SF Supporter
I didn't realise it had broken 1 million, wow... I dont look at the news much as its quite triggering but I agree it's very disheartening that there are people not following the guidelines.... and even people who just don't believe this is a thing, they apparently think it's a hoax and scaremongering..... just the effort that would have to have gone into this for that to be true and the reasons behind it...... wow .... just wow.... I hope that there is enough of us with level heads treating this in the way we should be that we will make it through the rest of this without it being absolutely devasting but there are just so many weak links and even in the care system with the most vulnerable (care home my sister in law works for, the boss did some disgraceful things and covid took a bunch of the residents). It's really depressing, and like you @Optimistic Goatman my view on people as a whole is worsening. But you're right @1964dodge there are some real gems of people out there going above and beyond and there are people like ourselves just being sensible and doing our best. Just how can there still be people so .......aaarrrhhhh.... and so many of them... it's scary

Bradamante

Silent dreamer
When the presidents of nations are dismissive, minimizing and even denying such a danger for humanity, their citizens feel fine to act accordingly. I am glad there are people who use common sense instead and understand the situation. My prayers go to all the victims and their families. Hopefully we will get through this soon.

Witty_Sarcasm

๐Ÿฆ„๐Ÿฆœ๐Ÿง๐ŸŒˆ๐ŸŒ๐Ÿ’–
SF Supporter
The worst thing is that people are still treating it as a conspiracy or some sort of joke. Yeah, I'm pretty sure that all of these deaths aren't fake. I know at least a few people who are against wearing the mask for no reason other than they think it makes people like sheep. A friend on Facebook said she's going to burn her mask because she's not scared. I'm sure she'll be scared if she gets it, or someone she knows gets it. I have enough common sense to not take that risk.

Lara_C

Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
The worst thing is that people are still treating it as a conspiracy or some sort of joke. Yeah, I'm pretty sure that all of these deaths aren't fake.
It's scary that so many people are denying this is a potentially deadly disease which is showing no signs of abating-quite the opposite- and for which there is no effective treatment available for all. Not to mention possible long-term effects, even for mild cases. Things will probably get much worse, thanks to the deniers.

Witty_Sarcasm

๐Ÿฆ„๐Ÿฆœ๐Ÿง๐ŸŒˆ๐ŸŒ๐Ÿ’–
SF Supporter
It's scary that so many people are denying this is a potentially deadly disease which is showing no signs of abating-quite the opposite- and for which there is no effective treatment available for all. Not to mention possible long-term effects, even for mild cases. Things will probably get much worse, thanks to the deniers.
Maybe once they finally get it, they'll understand that it's real and it's scary.

Witty_Sarcasm

๐Ÿฆ„๐Ÿฆœ๐Ÿง๐ŸŒˆ๐ŸŒ๐Ÿ’–
SF Supporter
By then it will be too late for a lot of them. Unfortunately the real sheep are those who trust politicians who are proven liars, manipulators and deceivers, instead of scientists.
Yes, they keep spreading fake news as well, like saying that the CDC said it's not a deadly illness. They need to do some fact checking before posting things like that.

Human Ex Machinae

Void Where Prohibited
Suffice to say it all served as another very unwelcome knock to my opinion of humanity as a whole. I'm definitely walking away from this pandemic even more jaded on people as a group than i was going in.
The global response makes it abundantly obvious that the long term prospects for survival of the human race are slim to none. Not because this iteration of Covid is an existential threat to the species, because it certainly isn't. It's because it just underscores the collective nonsentience of the human race and it's complete inability to act together. On the bright side though, we can be pretty smart at the individual level. Individually, we can be smart and do all the right things to protect ourselves and keep ourselves healthy, and with threats like pandemics, a side benefit is that that helps everyone around us stay healthy and safe too.

sinking_ship

woman overboard
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
It's because it just underscores the collective nonsentience of the human race and it's complete inability to act together.
This.
It's really depressing. I would want to have hope that we can work to prevent some of the worst consequences of climate change, but we can't even be trusted to act in our own best interests when people are dying right in front of us.

Human Ex Machinae

Void Where Prohibited
This.
It's really depressing. I would want to have hope that we can work to prevent some of the worst consequences of climate change, but we can't even be trusted to act in our own best interests when people are dying right in front of us.
And climate change actually IS an existential threat, and we're taking even less collective coordinated actions with that than we have with this pandemic.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$50.00
Goal
$255.00