Over eating. Is this a disorder?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by snarrylover, Dec 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. snarrylover

snarrylover Well-Known Member

I've gone up a dress size in little over a month. I'm eating when I'm bored, and when I'm hungry I'm eating too much. I'm snacking after every meal. I go through half a loaf of bread a day.

I'm not sure if this is a disorder but it's certainly scary because I've never been like this. When I tell people I feel fat and they say "I'd love your figure" etc I get really angry and upset because they just don't get it!

I've put on a stone in such a short amount of time. I know being a size 12 isn't fat, but my thighs wobble like jelly and my arse is just cellulite. It's eating away at my confidence, which was hardly there to begin with. More and more the way I look and the amount of fat on my thighs and bum is getting to me. I never thought it a problem but now my size is all I can think about, but I can't do anything about it.

I want to stop eating so much, or at least eat something other than chips/waffles/crisps every single day, but I can't find it in me to resist food.

Is this a disorder? Or the beginnings of a disorder? I don't know anything about eating disorders other than what I see on TV about people throwing up. I'm guessing it goes hand-in-hand with depression and anxiety.

2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

If you are on medication for mental illness hun this can cause you to grave carbs hun if not then depression yes can definetly cause one to eat more Talk to you doc ok as so can a thyroid disease cause weight problems Best to get a professional help hun to find out what is causing this

3. VikKalmbach

VikKalmbach Active Member

Sounds like the start of something you should actively work against. They may genuinely love and want your figure and that is out of your control. Any energy you put into things that are out of your control is like swimming against the current., you might make it pretty far but you will eventually get tired and just float back. I think that you will have to fight this offensively. Plan your goals, a clear list of goals, your first one should be stop snacking.

The brain naturally wants a substitute. Any time that you spent snacking, if you remove it, is still time just sitting there waiting to be used. This you have a tremendous amount of control over, and this is where all of your energy should go and where you will start to see results. Don't just cut out snacking, replace it. Exercising is very tough to start and maintain but if your confidence is a problem in general this might be a good place to start anyway. Next time you pick up snacks, don't just put them down. Put them down and then move on quickly. Head to the gym or go for a walk or jog and come back, take some deep breaths. You still need to eat so learn how to make 10, quick, simple, healthy snacks that give your body the good energy it will need to beat this problem out of your life for good.

Celery with peanut butter,
    Yogurt with raisins (or chocolate chips, don't fight the sweet tooth just control it)
    Whole wheat toast (not a half a loaf wayyy to many carbs)
    Fresh fruit
    Oatmeal muffins etc..

Here are a few of my favourites. If I'm unhappy with the way I'm eating I need to have these available ahead of time, so at the beginning of the week I make sure I have healthy snacks I don't have to hunt down when the time comes. If you feel like snacking the last thing you want is to have to drive to the store to make yourself something healthy. Have it ready,

And remember that I love you and you are beautiful, if you ever need to talk please feel free to message me :)

4. snarrylover

snarrylover Well-Known Member

Thank you to both of you - for the advice and the encouragement.

I'm currently trying to replace snacking with snacking on healthy foods. My main food is still a problem. Same thing to eat every day because I'm so fussy. I don't think my doctor realises how serious I am about this because I don't look like I've put on weight to anybody else. But it's just come on and I can't stop.

5. flowers

flowers Senior Member

I had the same thought as TE. If you are on medications this could be the cause of the cravings and weight gain. In the US we have all kinds of groups people can join to help with these issues. But I know that in the UK it is not so common. So I am wondering if you might be insterested in getting some online support to help you reel in the undesirable eating habbits? Please be VERY careful not to get caught up on a diet that continues to the point of being unhealthy. Too thin is very unhealthy and can lead to dangerous results, as i am sure you know. I am wishing you lots of luck with this. And sending a :flower:

6. Terry

Terry Antiquities Friend Staff Alumni

Get a grip on it now! I was a size 10 and am now a size 22 :eek:hmy:
    Ok some of that was the menopause, cos you balloon like a loon, but the rest of it is just carbs, carbs and more carbs!

I can't seem to stop eating bread, and of course, bread=butter and even worse; CHEESE!
    Get a hold on it now, I feel so stuck and so damn fat, something I've never been in my youth.
    Even when I was pregnant I only piled on about 7lbs and to think I thought that was a lot :eek:hmy:

7. morning rush

morning rush Well-Known Member

snacking is one of my bad addictions. I love salty stuff and I tried to go on healty snacks. Went to the health food stores, tried also a few classes on healthy foods and got a few recipes I tried....but to be honest, I'm miserable. I've been almost two months free of dark soda and I miss it so much right now. And I know that I need to lose weight, I do not want to become one of those people who can't get out of bed they are so fat. Ever since I got on the meds, I gained 100 pounds extra and I've tried to lower it down, it does for a while and then I gain it all back....I don't know what to do anymore...

8. flowers

flowers Senior Member

I wish that when they put people on these medications ( I do not question that they are necessairy and important to take) they would also offer support so people will not end up being alone trying to figure out how to navagate the weight gain thing.

It is so painful. And I am sorry you are dealing with this. I can say how I do it. But I am not Currently on one of those meds. So i think thats why my intense urges are not as intense.

I dont have many carbs at all. For me, carbs are addictive. If I start with them, it would be like falling off the wagon. I eat no sugar. I eat nothing that converts to sugar. I use stevia instead of sugar. Not the so called stevia that is sold in grocery stores ( truvia). I think that stuff is unhealthy. I get kal stevia. It took my taste buds a year or so to adapt to the taste. Now all I taste is the sweet. I use 40 calorie per cup almond milk. That also helps.

I know its hard. I really hope you can find support irl for this. I personally think its a bit crazy that doctors hand out these pills. But there is no support to manage the side effect of weight gain which can be so very depressing. And btw, I have been there. I gained a lot of weight. And then lost it in a very unhealthy way. Because there was no support. Even though I was in therapy with a psychiatrist. Shaking my head.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.