Over eating

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Mordeci, Sep 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mordeci

Mordeci Banned Member

My doctor diagonsed me with a over eating disorder, which makes perfect sense. Since I was young I was obsessed with my weight (I have always been heavy) and found myself constantly thinking about food and considering forceing myself to vomit to keep the weight off even now. I am not really sure where to go from here, this is all very new to me but I can't seem to control myself. :sad:

2. Aurora Gory Alice

Aurora Gory Alice Well-Known Member

Have you tried appetite suppressants and stuff? Like Sibutramine (Meridia - U.S/Reductil - U.K).
    I posted a while ago that I was sure I had some form of eating disorder, because I eat and eat and eat when I'm upset, until I 'want' to vomit, but I don't.
    - I'm heavy and obsessed with my weight also and yep, have considered throwing it up, but I just can't. I've seen my cousin, my sisters and even my own mother do it, which makes me think I just should, seeing as how they go on and on about how great they look when they lose 20lbs through doing that.

3. Eyepatch

Eyepatch Member

I really suck at advice. I'm mostly anorexic (my ex-girlfriend now cooks a meal for me every day now and makes me eat it, but when she's not around I don't eat anything but olives.) Anyway alcohol suppresses my appetite completely and I never eat food when I'm drunk. I'm not suggesting you get drunk every day though, as that would be really terrible advice. Unfortunately terrible advice is the only kind of advice I know.... sorry.

4. Aurora Gory Alice

Aurora Gory Alice Well-Known Member

I tried that. I didn't lose any weight because of how many calories there are in alcohol. Just felt sick all the time and more depressed.

5. Mordeci

Mordeci Banned Member

The appetite suppressants sounds like a good idea, my therapist actually wants me to enter a program at my local hospital that would evetnually led to surgery, but I want to try and avoid that.

6. My_eyes_lie

My_eyes_lie Well-Known Member

Have you tried an OA group or individual therapy yet? You have to find the emotion that leads to emotional over eating. good luck

7. Mordeci

Mordeci Banned Member

I am unsure about it my weight isssues is still very personal to me, I am not sure if I can share face to face with another person, I want to try exercising first but can't seem to modivate myself.

8. My_eyes_lie

My_eyes_lie Well-Known Member

The thing with exercise is the motivation comes after you start exercising. Once you get the high exercise gives you then you'll want to continue. So even if you don't feel motivated you may just have to push yourself. Can you go to a gym and get a personal trainer? I'm a personal trainer and I know my clients who wouldn't normally come in on their own will come in if they know I'm waiting for them. Also, you may find that being open to people about your weight issues may make you feel better and less alone. You can always go and not share. Just try it out.

9. Mordeci

Mordeci Banned Member

I started going back to the gym on my own, and I am doing ok with that, the problem is when I am out of the gym and I start craving food, then it becomes a real struggle.

10. Mordeci

Mordeci Banned Member

Also I am weighing myself 20 times a day so I threw out my scale so I wouldn't be tempted.

11. alison

alison Well-Known Member

hey.. i can relate to so much of this. I used to weigh myself everytime I walked in or out of my bedroom, before and after eating or drinking, even before or after going to the bathroom lol. Throwing it away was probably a good idea, I still have mine.. but I put it in a box in my basement to avoid it. The only issue now is its been a couple months and I'm too afraid to weigh myself - I get nauseous just thinking about it.

I wish I had some good pieces of advice.. but I don't really. Lately, my plan has been to not worry about calories (or try not to worry, rather) and just eat until I feel full --BUT-- my meals are all well balanced in terms of fruit/veggies/etc. No more binging on a box of oreos as my dinner lol. And the other part of the plan is to exercise moderately. I figure if I treat my body well, it will naturally go to the weight that is healthy for it?? I don't really know.. but that's my plan. ;)

12. Mordeci

Mordeci Banned Member

My theripist is trying to get me in at a hospital weight center and recomended surgery, its terrible I have no self control.

13. thomasstuart

thomasstuart New Member

Therapy for binge eating disorder:
    1.Cognitive-behavioral therapy.
    2. Interpersonal psychotherapy.
    3. Dialectical behavior therapy.
    4. Group therapy.
    5. Support groups.

14. bluegrey

bluegrey Antiquities Friend

You may not like support groups and in the small chance this hasn't already been suggested how about Overeaters Anonymous?

15. Mordeci

Mordeci Banned Member

I don't really work well in group settings, I tried group therapy once and was really turned off by the process. Right now my therapist thinks something like a gastric band surgery might work for me. However the idea of surgery seems a little frighting to me. I should start exercising, when I exercise I eat less, but I just can't seem to find the motivation for it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.