Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Glara, Jan 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Glara

Glara Member

I have an eating disorder of overeating. I have no idea how to control it. My life is completely empty so I eat to fill that void. I need to lose 30 lbs, ideally 40. I can't stop. I look forward to coming home from work, putting on my pjs and eating. Don't want to do anything else. Any ideas what I can do about this?
  2. Unknown_111

Unknown_111 Forum Buddy Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Hi, over-eating is a symptom of when you feel down in order to keep or make yourself happy. It's nothing to be worried. One possible way to deal is create yourself a food timetable and stick to (You make not stick to it but that does not matter). The important meal is breakfast in the morning. You could swap sweets for fruit as an healthy option. I would a simple form of exercise such as walking as that will help burning off calories. (Only a suggestion to help you). Gradually increase the walk but also invest in a decent pair of trainers. I hope this helps you but have you seen a doctor about the disorder.
  3. DrownedFishOnFire

DrownedFishOnFire Quieta non movere

Do you still feel hungry atfer eating meal or snacks?
  4. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Hi Glara,I am in the same position, I comfort eat white chocolate and crisps, I lost 3 stone last year but I have put it back on, really mad at myself for putting it back on.
    Healthy eating and exercise is the way to go and don't eat much carbohydrates.

good luck :hug:
  5. Glara

Glara Member

I know what I'm supposed to eat to lose weight, I don't care. I was thin most of my life, until menopause. Now it's out of control and I'm depressed. I feel like there is nothing in life to give me pleasure except food. And I am always hungry. So I'm eating. I don't care that I'm getting fat. Of course I'd rather not get fat, but I don't want to give up eating because it's the only thing I have in life. There really is nothing else. I'm going to start counseling for my depression and I'll tell her I have an eating disorder.
  6. storm

storm Well-Known Member

I do this occasionally too. One trick I've learned is chewing a stick of gum when i want to eat but know I should wait till next meal time. I hope that helps :hug:
  7. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Hello again Glara,

I hope that telling your counselor about your comfort eating will help, hopefully you cann get to the root of the problem and work from there, good luck to you :hug:
  8. Butterfly

Butterfly Resident SF Sims Enthusiast Staff Alumni SF Author SF Supporter

Over eating is quite a common symptom in those who are depression. Eating can bring quite a lot of comfort when you are depressed, especially if you are eating sugary foods and chocolate as they can release endorphins which is the chemical that makes us feel good. Another problem is that when you are so demotivated from depression, with no energy at all we also eat out of boredom. Working with your therapist about your eating issues is a good idea because you can work on distractions and activities that you can do instead of eating and creating a better routine for yourself.
  9. W Miller

W Miller Well-Known Member

I can really relate to this eating problem when depressed. I've never considered myself to have an eating disorder, because I've always felt it was more related to ones 'body image'. I've only recently began to understand that this isn't always the case, and appetite (or lack thereof) is sometime of a coping mechanism. I guess we try to fill the void with something, and for many food does just that.

I have the opposite problem, I have no appetite whatsoever when I'm empty and depressed, and I don't care much about my weight but force myself to eat at least 1 meal a day, but that was really no help to you, of course.

I hope things improve for you Glara and everyone else that posted above.
  10. gsp

gsp Member

I used to have this problem, but then I realized that overeating makes things worse, not better. Eating temporarily made me feel good, but I got to the point where the cons of overeating outweighed the pros. If you work with your therapist, hopefully you can get to whatever's causing you to overeat.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.