Panic attacks

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Petal, Jul 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

In the last few days I have had numerous panic attack, the worst was last night mixed in with paranoia, what do you do when you're hyperventilating and not thinking clearly? It was hell. I have always suffered anxiety attacks but not like these ones. Help anyone? and medication is not the answer to this. would be easy if it was.

2. Citizen Insane

Citizen Insane Chat Pro SF Author SF Supporter

Hey Lynn,

Time, the flow of time... during panic is experienced differently. You're still here, the panic has been resolved for now...

Understanding that no single feeling lasts forever, by itself, does not calm a person down from a panic attack. It will require a technique that you might know already or have to learn in addition to what you already know. A technique that's not harmful to you, but during a panic attack you almost can't think of that technique because you are overwhelmed by everything that you feel.
    In a panic attack, the feeling seems to last much longer than you would want. The anxiety is like 90+ on a scale of 1 to 100. A person does not go from feeling 90+ anxiety in their body to like 10 or lower just by having a single positive thought pass by.

At that point, the ideas your mind throws at you seem to be the truth. Why would the mind lie to you (paranoia)? The feelings you get are almost confirming that what you belief during anxiety is the truth.
    The visualizations seem to be very persistent, you might see the same picture or "film" of a situation over and over like it's looping, further confirming that the ideas you have are important and hold value.

Personal example:

Somewhere, I had to learn myself to not believe anything my mind produces during a "random" anxiety attack. If I did believe in all those thoughts, then I would be isolating myself for example. I know that these are just feelings, no matter how horrific as long as it's not unbearable physical pain, and the feelings will not last forever. Ignoring, fighting etc. the anxiety or other techniques I use might worsen the feelings of anxiety.
    I ask myself, what's the worst that can happen to me when I feel anxiety? If during feeling anxiety, I think that a random person of group of people "might" be doing action A, B or C in the now or in the future, then I continue to think and analyze it for what something really is.

To see how rational it is. And also to see wether I can predict the future at all or if it's just my brain alerting me that "something" might happen in the near future to me. Do I need to worry about all the possible things that can happen? Perhaps I need to worry more about things in my environment that I actually have some control over.

I trick my own brain, by asking: "Okay Citizen Insane/Kenneth, you think that whatever is in your head is real while you are feeling anxiety at this very moment? You say that person X is going to do something horrible to someone you love? When do you believe that it is going to happen? ... Still waiting for an answer, buddy. Does it happen in exactly 12 seconds? No, 480 seconds? Still no. A day, a week? How important is this piece of information you have, while sweating and breathing so fast and feeling fear? Can you alter your own future?"

By then I realize that my brain is just overestimating the situation I am in. Raising my awareness for no damn reason really. It just make-believe. Just another irrational fear that comes up at times when I don't feel like experiencing it. Then again... is there ever a good moment to feel fear in the current environment I live in?
    Maybe in traffic, when I'm walking down a street waiting the light to turn green, gotta be alert then... when I just got paper money out of an ATM and there are people behind me or... Perhaps when a there's a snake in the middle of road. That happens a lot here in the Netherlands.. clearly. :p

Anxiety really hurts, I know Lynn... :( Sometimes our fears really become reality, or we feel so much tension without there being a clear cause/origin for it.
    I hope that I was able to help, even if it's just me showing some support. I'll try to be around today, this evening. :)

3. caspar

caspar Well-Known Member

Sorry you're suffering with this, sounds terrible for you. Just wondering why medication is not an option?

4. Petal

I am on the highest dose of valium (30mg a day) which is very high and its not stopping the panic attacks, i refuse to take the evil xanax(i was on that for years, its addictive), wouldn't get it prescribed anyway so im thinking something natural is the answer, im also on lyrica,sertraline,lexapro and zyprexa for anxiety, all at max dose.They have been the best meds after years of trying different ones. So i need to think of something more natural and nothing in a capsule. I want to fight this head on.

5. Petal

Kenneth- that is one of the best posts I have read on here (and I have read a lot lol), you really go deep inside that anxiety bug and tear it out, loved your explanations and expectations of what might happen and when they do. Your post has helped me just reading it, I will come back and read it again later. Thank you so much :hugs:

6. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

Sorry to hear that even a higher dosage isn't working for you. I know panic attacks are hell, luckily the first med I was prescribed has worked for me, and a low dosage too. Is it only Valium that does not work for you, or other meds too? I remember before I was prescribed anything, I had to try and get through panic attacks on my own. I just had to remind myself I am not dying or having a heart attack, my body and mind were just thinking that way because of all the adrenaline being released at once. Maybe find a distraction, something active not passive. That's what my therapist told me, before I sought out extra help. He just told me to do something that stimulates my mind and distracts from the panicked feelings. Maybe it sounds dumb, not sure if that will work for you, but maybe worth a try.

7. caspar

caspar Well-Known Member

Ok, that's understandable. Can you see a therapist to get to the root of your panic attacks?

8. Petal

I have been to therapy numerous times, public and private. It has helped tremendously but these attacks are coming back out of nowhere. I read through an e-mail one therapist sent to do with coping skills and strategies and that helped a bit. My meds won't be changed because even though these attacks are acute my meds are the best ones that suit me. Today I feel fine, worried about medical tests but other than that its all good :)

9. Petal

Last night was a bad night for me, I'm glad it is morning, did not get a wink of sleep. I was worrying about something and then someone asks is it due to your holiday? I was like hmmm I didn't even have that on my mind but now that you mention it, yes. Another person asks is it due to your health? Hadn't thought of that either but yes. My anxiety has been calm since 2 weeks ago but came back last night to the point I wanted to vomit. My stomach got very upset. I guess I am just writing this here 'cos I do not have anyone to talk to about this. Someone in chat gave me a meditation link and it is quite good, that was a little relief. I am too tired now to even feel anxiety so all is good again until the next attack :)

10. Witty_Sarcasm

I hope your anxiety has lessened now so that you can relax and rest :hug:

11. Petal

It has hun, thank you :hugs: Although i've just woken up to more head sores and hair loss :(

12. Witty_Sarcasm

Sorry to hear that :hug: Is it from stress, or something else?

13. Petal

Last time I lost hair the doctor said it was a fungal infection but personally I think it is stress. I have head sores now and they are very very sore. :(

14. Unsupergirl

Unsupergirl Active Member

I used to get head sores all the time too. I started using a shampoo called Selsun 2.5% and it took care of it quite quickly with regular use. I can't say your issue is the same, but it can't hurt to try if they have it available in your area :)

15. Petal

I'm going to go to the pharmacy in a while and see what they recommend, thanks for your input, I appreciate it :hugs:

16. Petal

The doctor prescribed Betnovate. I will let you know if it helps, told to buy Nizoral too. Pissed off at losing more hair :(

17. Unknown_111

Unknown_111 Forum Buddy Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Petal, so sorry to hear that you are suffering but please remain strong. No need to stress but keep calm.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.