Paranoia - Anxiety or Start of Psychosis???

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Butterfly, Dec 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Butterfly

Butterfly Resident SF Sims Enthusiast Staff Alumni SF Author SF Supporter

Hello guys,

At the minute I am suffering from a lot of paranoia, but I am struggling to identify the source. Usually for me there are 2 causes, anxiety or psychosis but it doesn't really feel like either at the moment. I've been doing a lot of work on my negative automatic thoughts in therapy, and I have discovered that I do have some obsessive and paranoid thoughts that are linked to anxiety but usually these are quite easy to identify for me because if I am paranoid due to anxiety I will have the physical symptoms of anxiety as well like the shaking, feeling sick, palpitations etc. But I am not experiencing any of that at the minute. But if I am paranoid due to psychosis I normally have very persecutory beliefs like I am constantly being watched, government/police are plotting to kill me and I will have other symptoms such as hearing voices and seeing things. But again I'm not really experiencing that either.

My mood seems to be very unpredictable at the moment. I have been under and immense amount of stress so I am aware of possible triggers. At the moment I feel very apathetic, but more hyperactive than usual at times and I can get more irritated and agitated than usual. I just feel like people are plotting to bring me down and I am not feeling comfortable anywhere, like I am waiting for people to trip me up and I am waiting to just lose everything. I have shut myself off a lot recently from people, so I feel very isolated and lonely. I am aware that the more isolated I become, the more paranoid I am likely to be. It is such a vicious cycle to break. But I am not sure what the cause of it. If it's anxiety I can deal with it through talking to people and my therapists, but if it's psychosis then it means my medication is not working as it should be.
  2. SillyOldBear

SillyOldBear Teddy Bear Fanatic Staff Member Safety & Support

Lexi, I am sorry you are going through so much. But you have experienced a lot of change and stressful events lately. And I wonder if Christmas could be adding to the mix. Hopefully you have shared how you feel with your doctor so he can adjust your meds if needed. I hope you feel better soon and can shake these dreadful feelings.
  3. MisterBGone

Hmm... I'm no doctor, but it sounds from what you've just said more like psychosis than anxiety to me. Do the medications prescribed often treat the voices or unwanted thoughts? Perhaps it's time to have a talk with your psychiatrist if it's not helping? Do what you can to stay in touch with those that care - or those that you feel comfortable enough communicating with at times like these. I always wonder myself if the awareness we have as to our triggers with respect to anxiety or depression can be undermined by our subconscious... In other words, if the disease works it's way around our defense mechanisms, so to speak? Good luck.
  4. Butterfly

Butterfly Resident SF Sims Enthusiast Staff Alumni SF Author SF Supporter

That's what I am afraid of Mister, that it's the beginning of psychosis. My anxiety can be reasoned with but when I get paranoid like this I can't because I genuinely believe everything is true. Some things have happened and it's understandable that I am paranoid and realise that's a normal reaction, but some of the things I'm thinking and feeling is just so intense and I just want to shut myself away. I'm not due to see pdoc until January and I doubt I would get in before Christmas so I think I'm just gonna have to grin and bare and hope it doesn't get too bad. I have some PRN meds to help me through, I don't see what else can be done for me except give me more PRN's anyway, I don't want to waste anybody's time.
  5. Perfect Melancholy

Perfect Melancholy SF Friend

Just wanted to add I am sorry, I can really relate to the "not waste anyones time" you are not wasting their time here, irl, or wherever. When you need support even of a doctor that is what they are there for.

When I went for my appointment earlier this week I actually said one of things I wanted to hear was just that it was going to be okay, I think as much as our friends can say it, we need to hear it of the pros and that does a lot for our mental wellbeing.

I hope that makes sense, and hope you feel better soon.
  6. turryburry

turryburry Well-Known Member

I had a psychotic break a few years ago and have been on Risperidone since. My pdoc told me it doesn't lose it's effectiveness. Since you're not hearing voices I think it's just stress. It could just be a blip--what I call weird thoughts that show up and then leave without a total spiral into nuttiness.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.