Peer Support Groups

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by pickwithaustin, May 23, 2013.

?

Is Peer Support Groups a part of your Wellness Plan?

1. Yes - I currently attend

2 vote(s)
    28.6%
  2. No - I have attended in the past though

3 vote(s)
    42.9%
  3. No - I do not now or have never

2 vote(s)
    28.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pickwithaustin

pickwithaustin Staff Alumni

I find that many people benefit from peer support groups. In fact, in essence, this forum is a form of peer support group.

What about offline? How many of you have joined peer support groups and attended meetings regularly? I co-facilitate a NAMI group where I live and over the past several years (we meet twice a month) have seen many people benefit from the networking and support that comes from them.

I was curious to see how many here include support groups in their wellness plan.

2. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

Not at the current moment, but it's definitely something I would consider looking into.

3. AnaNg

AnaNg Antiquities Friend

I used to a long time back just after I got out of an intensive partial hospitalisation programme. It was part of the wellness plan I had going at the time. In fact, the intensive was a lot like a peer support group but it was only three weeks long and included educational information on mental illness and health, etc. so it wasn't strictly a place to come and let loose with your feelings. Wouldn't mind a peer support group where I could do that once a week or even once every other week.

4. pickwithaustin

pickwithaustin Staff Alumni

I am surprised that one of the most effective and easiest to apply methods for seeking wellness is not employed more by individuals suffering various mental illness and depression. I encourage all who seek to improve to at least try finding a group local to them. NAMI is a great place (in the U.S.) to start if looking for one near you. Cheers.

5. MikeB

MikeB Member

I had never heard of NAMI before I read your post (just googled them now). I'd be interested in hearing more about what it's like to participate in a NAMI support group -- or in similar groups. I've thought of looking for some sort of support group, but don't really know where to look or what to expect from one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.