Personality disorder, but no-one can pin it down!

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Everymedhasfailed, Mar 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Everymedhasfailed

Everymedhasfailed Active Member

Hey guys,

I am relatively new, and haven't posted in this section before...

I had a mental health assessment the other day and I suffer from extreme social anxiety, which is described as being hypervigilant in nature. If I open a door and someone is on the other side, I will jump out of my skin. I have severe telephone anxiety which is starting to affect my work performance (and I have a job which I absolutely love! But being an events co-ordination apprentice for a charity, alot of my job involves telephone enquiries... You can see the problem!). I am torn between what I know I must do and what I feel I can do...

I have no clear sense of who I am and have noticed myself mimicking the behaviours and neurosise of those around me in my office environment. I am highly educated, yet doing an apprenticeship... My anxiety is very unpredictable, usually being triggered by new people, large crowds and new situations, however sometimes, I encounter all three with no problem at all.

I have been described as having irratic mood swings, sometimes changing two to three times a day, sometimes once or twice a month. But I know that I have a tendency to lean toward negative thinking, because, although undesired, negative thoughts are fulfilling within themselves (My mental health assessors words, not mine). But I know this to be true, as I identify the positive and negatives within a situation, but continuously ruminate on the negative outcomes, thus rationalising my avoidance of them.

I would love a bit of insight from you all as someone here may recognise what I am saying and think "wow, that is me!". I am not asking for a diagnosis, but a better understanding of my thought patterns from those with the same experience in the difficulties I have. I know that everyone is wierd and has their own neurosise, but I hope someone can shed light on mine!

Keep fighting strong, knowing that you are never alone, as we are all sad and lonely at some point in time!
  2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

I do hope that your medical team can come up with some coping skills to help you The label or diagnosis really is not that important really as long as you are given skills to cope with the anxiety and the mood swings you are having I do hope there are others here that are suffering along the same line can support you as well into what coping skills they use
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.