Please help me change health practitioners attitudes by filling out a small survey

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Shock, Jun 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shock

Shock Well-Known Member

<against guidelines>

Hi all,

Some of you may know me already - Ive been around here a while.

About 2 years ago I was sent to hospital (in Australia) as response to a suicide attempt. When I was first sent, I viewed it as a very positive thing - I thought I would get help and treatment, maybe even get completely better. I never thought I would actually come out worse.

The experience of being in hospital was truly awful. If you like you can view my previous posts about the details of my stay but fundamentally this is what I experienced:

-Sleep depravation techniques
    -Not allowed an allied person (legal requirement - someone who helps communicate your needs to the staff and is on your side)
    -Locked in with violent patients coming down from drugs
    -Abuse by staff (emotional and verbal, never physical)
    -Not allowed to call anyone to tell them where you are
    -Not allowed to know any information on your status or treatment
    -Not allowed to go outside for fresh air
    -Personal items removed
    -Denied usual medications leading to getting ill
    -Denied any form of entertainment of distraction (ie newspapers, books, tv, etc)

I left without any treatment, developed PTSD and attempted twice more. It was overall the worst experience of my life.

I started visiting forums like this one as well as meeting groups of other depression suffers. I needed some one to talk to without fear of being locked up again. What I found when I told my story was that there was a massive amount of people who had experienced things even far worse then I had whilst in hospital. They too were afraid to talk to medical professionals about their conditions for fear of going back.

This is just wrong. It seems the hospitals were being used as a form of punishment to 'scare' people out of their conditions. Now their were people who were sducidal and too afraid to get help for it. We cant have that!

I had to act. First off I arranged a meeting with the head of the psychiatric ward at the hospital I was at. I managed through about 6 months of negotiation to get them to retrain their staff, provide allied peoples and allow patients to know what their treatment plans are. This is a great start but it is only a few things and only one hospital. The people I have talked to have been affected all over the world.

My next step is to talk to the Australian Federal Governments Commissioner of Health Quality. To prepare my self for that meeting I have gathered all sorts of stats and data, mostly from obliging universities. But I also want to know what happened to you guys, my friends who have been there for me on SF.

<against guidelines>

You also do not need to live in Australia to do it.

My ultimate goals are as follows

-Review Duty of Care legislature to allow people feeling suicidal or like they might self harm to approach health practitioners without fear of of being sent to the psych ward (seriously, so many people avoid getting help because of this)
    -Retrain stuff in mental health wards to treat patients suffering depression, bipolar, and anxiety related issues with more respect.
    -Everyone who is involuntarily admitted to a hospital MUST know their treatment plan, MUST get an allied person and MUST be able to call loved ones and friends to let the know they are safe.
    -NO sleep depravation techniques
    -Passive patients are to be kept separately and safe from violent patients

By filling out this survey you would be helping me and many mant other out. I promise it will only take a really short amount of time.

Thank you so so much for reading this and helping us! Much love!

If you have any questions dont be afraid to ask!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2013
  2. meaningless-vessel

meaningless-vessel Well-Known Member

Re: Please help me change health practitioners attitudes by filling out a small surve

While the meaning behind the survey is, what i'd call, spot on for it's desire - even with re-training, it will not change people's attitudes in the workplace, unless they are found out by someone doing the job without covering it up, and managers/beyond levels need to take responsibility for their lack of action at times.

There was an example back in 2011 here in the UK - staff abused and tortured people with learning difficulties for fun in one particular place. And this is after repeated signs being posted towards management who didn't investigate the complaints properly.

3. Sadeyes

Sadeyes Staff Alumni

Re: Please help me change health practitioners attitudes by filling out a small surve

I remember all that you went through and I am so glad that you are taking action. Unfortunately, surveys and such are against our guidelines, and with regrets, I had to delete it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.