Please help OCD members

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Khvde, May 23, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Khvde

Khvde Well-Known Member

Hi. Is there anyone who has OCD, here?

If there is, what do you do about it? Do you take meds? Which meds do you take? Do you go for no-meds treatment?

Also, is "always thinking about the same thing, even though it is upsetting" a sign of OCD?

I am asking this because when it comes to OCD people always give examples such as washing hands too much or doing some things too much.

undercoverlover likes this.
  2. Khvde

Khvde Well-Known Member

3. Acy

Acy Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense Staff Member Safety & Support

Hi, Khvde. Since I'm not a doctor, I can't diagnose you or really say if something is a sign of anything. What I can say is that if you are concerned about the things you are doing/thinking/saying, a visit to your doctor might be a good idea.

OCD, to my understanding, can include thinking things over and over and rituals (behaviors that "counteract" a fear - like handwashing, checking again and again that stove is off, counting things over and over, arranging things in a certain way). Most people have some "habits" that are a little like "rituals" and those are quite normal...e.g., a favorite mug in the morning and we feel funny if we use a different one, double checking the door is locked, worrying about a bill over and over until we know it's paid).

When thoughts and/or behaviors begin to interfere with everyday life - when we can't move without double-checking, counting, having to do some ritual, thinking about a worrisome issue - then it might be time to see a doctor to see what's going on. The good thing, according to the medical literature, is that OCD is usually quite treatable (with meds and/or behavior therapy).

I hope this helped. I think if you're concerned, your doctor is your best bet; he/she can direct you to a diagnosis and the correct follow up. Good luck and please keep us posted on how you're doing!

4. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

I'm no doctor but I have heard that Lustral is an amazing medication for OCD and you can even take it if you are a minor. I had symptoms of it when I was younger, I dyed my hair until parts of it fell off, I had to constantly check that things were turned off, it drove me crazy and caused me major anxiety, I would tell your doctor about your feelings and let them decide on their opinion. Best of luck.

5. Khvde

Khvde Well-Known Member

I think I have generalized anxiety disorder. I searched for its difference from OCD.
    Whenever exam time comes I got extremely anxious. It might be because I have ADD. ( I am diagnosed with it.)
    Yesterday I took one Zedprex ( It is an equivalent drug of Prozac which has fluoxetine in it.) It was 20 mg.
    My psychiatrist doesnt know I started taking antidepressant. This friday, I have an appointment and I will tell him.

6. undercoverlover

undercoverlover Well-Known Member

I have ocd, and yes, getting repetitive thoughts in your head, no matter how disturbing, is a symptom of ocd -- they're called intrusive thoughts. As for medication, many people try SSRIs. however, if you're bipolar, SSRIs will only send you into mania. I have bipolar disorder and i take buspar for anxiety, and I've noticed it helps with my OCD too. therapy can also help

7. NYJmpMaster

NYJmpMaster Have a question? Message Me Staff Member Forum Owner ADMIN

Fluoxetine is never used as a PNR medication- which is how you are trying to use it if you took one just to see if it had an effect. It takes several days for it to build in your system to have an effect, and full effectiveness is not for 4-6 weeks. While there are a lot of anxiety medications available that work immediately/nearly so for immediate relief of symptoms or sudden unexpected peaks, fluoxetine just is not one of them so while it is very unlikely it would do any harm, it is equally unlikely it would help any either. It does sound like you could benefit from a PNR medication (taken only when needed) to help with stress like exam times or other highly stressful situations if they trigger you. Please do tell your psychiatrist you took it if they prescribe you a medication though because you cannot take that and then take and MAOI before it is out of your system completely without risking some very nasty side effects so it could impact when you could safely take other medications.

Are you taking ADD medication now? That may help the symptoms of the add - especially during exams where you have structured times and may be difficult to use any other coping strategies you have developed to get work done when needed. Taking medication when needed to improve your quality of life and ability to be successful in a school or work environment is a very reasonable consideration and if you can find a med that works for you only when you really need it as opposed to all the time that would be ideal and I hope you are able, but taking all the time is not unreasonable if it helps you attain your goals and maintain a mood and quality of life that is worthwhile. If you can do so with the assistance of psychiatrist so is safer it would be far better but I do recall another post that you are not really trusting of your psychiatrist so make sure you understand the reasons for any meds he might prescribe and that the reasons make sense to you as well.

The actual diagnosis is not incredibly important as so many psych medications are used for multiple disorders and in the end you are just treating symptoms, not curing anything anyway. Whether the anxiety is from GAD, or as a part of depression, due to a compulsion, or a part of the ADD, if the anxiety is reduced is all that really matters. Of course the correct diagnosis would be nice for personal knowledge and understanding, and it may make it easier to start a treatment protocol,but for starters just getting the most bothersome symptoms controlled will have the most impact on your day to day life. I hope you are able to find something with medications or other strategies that help.

MisterBGone likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.