Please share your anxiety coping methods.

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Petal, May 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Hi guys `& gals...I would like you to share your anxiety coping methods with me. Please do not mention breathing exercises because they do not work on me. I'm talking severe anxiety, so bad that I'm vomiting occasionally. I am on meds, but they no longer help and increasing the dosage is not an option-switching meds is not an option either as I have been on the evil xanax and begged my doctor to take me off it because the withdrawal between doses was ridiculous.
  2. Acy

Acy Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense Staff Member Safety & Support

For me, anxiety is often that I don't have any control. If the anxiety is because of doing something new or because of being in a new place, re-grounding myself in the present rather than in my fears can help. Sometimes making sure that I'm aware of where I am, who is around me, and that there is nothing truly dangerous happening in the present helps. Some people find that touching something really warm/cold or soft or rough can bring them back into the present and away from their fears.

I'm sorry that breathing exercises haven't worked for you. Deep breathing helps to bring me back to the present though they don't resolve the anxiety for me. I think deep breaths in and out "focus" my attention away from my feelings long enough to start to regroup.

I hope something helps you out with this. :hug:
    Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2014
  3. mandy

mandy Well-Known Member

I usually end up crying and wrapping up in a blanket and crying myself to sleep; that's in a panic attack… But usually with severe anxiety I do almost the same thing. I will wrap up in a blanket and curl in a ball and pretend like nothing outside that exists and I will listen to music. I try super hard to forget what it is I am anxious about for a couple hours at least.
  4. Petal

That is for me too, I don't have control. The morning time is certainly the worst time. I wake up and within 5 minutes the nausea and anxious thoughts come on, sometimes so bad that I can't even get my script in the chemist, have to get someone to do it for me, so on top of anxiety, I feel like a burden. I have read a lot about anxiety but have never heard of the touching something hot or cold or rough to ease it, I am certainly going to try that tomorrow morning, don't need to now as I feel fine. Thanks so much for your reply.
  5. Petal

Thanks for your reply, listening to music is great, but I feel it only helps to a certain extent. I am sorry to hear you suffer with panic attacks so severely. :hug:
  6. randomguy9

randomguy9 Put's the "Pro" in Profanity Chat Pro

I don't know if it counts as a coping skill, but I try to remind myself what my body is trying to do. Anxiety is the miss use of the body's fight or flight response. A lot of the stuff that happens, the heavy breathing is to prepare your body to face a threat, or flee it. Body think's it needs that oxygen for that reason. Becoming ultra aware of everything is again good in physical threat mode, not so much when you are ultra aware of issues you can't immediately fix.

The vomiting is common for prolonged anxiety. In the threat moment... the body shuts down the digestive system so energy can be spent elsewhere... if a threat is present it is logical that that particular system's duties can wait. Prolonged.... can lead to the vomiting.

Reminding myself that has been calming... remind myself consciously that I am not in physical danger at that time. Remind myself that I am safe, and need to break things down calmly.

Other than that I am trying to learn to use mindfulness... which is basically focusing your brain on all the details of something. If their are birds in the front yard eating, I might look at each of them noticing the colors of their feathers.

If you have a pet, look closely at it. Color of it's fur, length of it. How it feels when you pet him one way, and different if you pet him going the other direction. Notice the difference between petting it's back and rubbing it's belly in how it feels. See how it's tail moves.

Other people like to have some small rocks of different colors, textures, type, etc. Something to pull out of their pocket, compare the sight, and touch, temperature, and whatever other differences they can notice.

Those are designed to ground the mind, not to fix the anxiety causing issues. The mind has trouble focusing on multiple things at once... so forcing myself to be ultra aware for a period of time sometimes calms me enough to face the task at hand with a level head.
  7. mandy

mandy Well-Known Member

Thanks :) and okay well the only other thing that helps me is physical exertion. I know that's not available in a lot of situations but I am usually at least playing with a stress ball of fidgeting. But if I'm super anxious I will sprint, punch a punching bag, lift weights, throw stuff, something to get energy out.
  8. morning rush

morning rush Well-Known Member

lately I've been listening to self hypnosis sleep videos on youtube at night, to help me sleep. It's been working I find, and I have high anxiety where most things don't work. I've also tried ASMR videos, I like the ones where they whisper and work with different ears, and I like the sounds on mics...I did use tapping in the past. But right now, I find the self hypnosis helps...not sure for how long though, but I guess we'll see.
  9. frypan367

frypan367 Well-Known Member

Count in odd numbers that you havent memorized the times tables for. Helps if you can't count well. ie counting in 17s in your head. It helps my OCD thoughts.
  10. Twocky61

Twocky61 Banned Member

The only way I have of coping with my anxiety is self harm which is deep rooted in issues in my past including the suicide in my arms of an ex gf who I found dead in my arms when I woke & childhood abuse in the care system
  11. pat1

pat1 Active Member

if you practise yoga or qigong every day it helps you cope/change your thinking...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.