PMS/progesterone

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by plates, May 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. plates

plates Well-Known Member

I don't know why I'm posting this.

I went to my family planning clinic to get some info about the options about my severe PMS. I also have PCOS too btw, meaning I have about 4-5 periods a year but the severity of my PMS on top of my MH problems is like the icing on the fucking cake.

They said the only thing that would help was to stop my menstrual cycle full stop. The options were a Depo Provera depot, but the doctor said she didn't want to give me this because it has been found that progesterone makes your mood lower. I agreed, that was out of the question. That and I have a history of thrombosis put it as an impossibility- bleeding - high dose of progesterone all at one go, can't get it out of you etc, all of which I agreed, I do not like the thought of depot injections in any circumstances - given to me.

The only thing offered was a PMS clinic where they do yoga and relaxation as well as give you a low dose progesterone in your menstrual cycle. She said I could try evening primrose and starflower oil, but she said looking at my symptoms she doubts that would do very much.

Any thoughts, experiences? I have nothing to help me during those periods and I am so much a risk at those times- and what is more, I sometimes don't even know it's coming as it's so irregular.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.