Post Operative Depression???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leiaha

Is there such a thing? I had a major op just before christmas and I still have to see the district nurse every day for dressing changes and wound care. since about a week after the op I have been very depressed yet again. One of my friends suggested POD, I have never heard of it, does it exist????

total eclipse

SF Friend
Staff Alumni
I haven't heard of that but i think it is very pausible that you develop depression after surgery expecially if you are not healing well afterwards and are tired from the effect of it hugs to you

black_rose_99

Hi,

Yep there is such a thing - I work in a hospital where people have elective surgery, and they are ALWAYS briefed about depression that may arise as a result of surgery. I don't know what causes it (and to be honest, didn't look at the link IV posted) but there's something in the back of my head that tells me it's linked to anasthesia - could also be to do with it being such a big event!

I hope you start to feel better soon.
xx

Leiaha

mine was an emergency op, I had necrotising fasciitis (the flesh eating bug) and had to have a big chunk removed from my leg. I was hospitalized for 12 days on various IV's etc. They left the wound wide open to heal naturally so, I still have a big hole in my leg!! Apparently it will take upto 8 mths to heal fully, in the meantime I have to see the District Nurses to have the dreesing changed on a daily basis.
The depression only really started to interfere with my life about 7-8 weeks post op. My usual depression meds are now having absolutely no effect whatsoever, they don't even make me sleep anymore either.
Lea x x

total eclipse

SF Friend
Staff Alumni
Oh how traumatic for you No wonder your depression is not aleviating the stress of the wound taking for ever to heal the worry if what if it does not
Perhaps get doctor to change your meds okay new one or up the ones your on.

I hope you have some therapy as well to help you deal with the trauma hugs to you

Leiaha

Thanks Total Eclipse for responding =) I think you are right about upping my meds although I am on some strong stuff. I will have to make an appointment which ususally takes upwards of a week at least. I guess I am just scared that I will become suicidal again :(
Lea :hug:

total eclipse

SF Friend
Staff Alumni
I think if you can get in to see your doctor soon go on cancellation list okay I hope you can get some help to make you feel better emotionally hugs to yo u

GoldenPsych

It's understandable that you feel bad. That's a big op to have and I can imagine the wound care etc is having a big impact on your life. I know when one of my wounds was infected not being able to shower really got to me. And that was only a small wound. It's obs had a big impact on your life so no wonder why you are feeling worse. As TE said it is important you go see a GP asap. Get a cancellation appointment. Most surgeries have so many slots a day for emergency appointments that can be booked on the day. Call up as soon as the surgery opens in the morning.

xxxx

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$170.00
Goal
$255.00