post your major complaint here

KM76710

Kangaroo Manager
SF Pro
SF Supporter
Jayne was definitely one of the more interesting characters in that ensemble! I always enjoyed the power struggles between Mal and Jayne ... because Mal always won. ;) Miss that series, although I own it on DVD. :)
I always claim to be a Jayne Cobb since he had the most fun but those who know me well or get around me enough say I am more like Shepherd Book. :)

I always claim to be a Jayne Cobb since he had the most fun but those who know me well or get around me enough say I am more like Shepherd Book. :)
Shepherd Book was an AWESOME character too! You don't seem like a Jayne to me. He was only motivated by money and was quite "the lug"; although his character arc did become a little more multi-dimensional throughout the series. What was that huge gun he had? Bessy?? Big Bertha? His "love affair" with that weapon was rich humor!!!!

I once took one of those silly online tests: which character are you most like on Firefly? I came out Captain Mal. Really not sure what to make of that!!

I love that series and the movie. So many great characters and story-lines. Still can't believe it got cancelled. :(

Sunspots

To Wish Impossible Things
Admin
SF Supporter
My brother has forwarded me an email from our father. I haven't spoken to him in five years. It was never really a conscious decision but I'd had enough of his constant racism and homophobia so I didn't phone for a few weeks. And he never phoned me, not even when my brother called him a month later to tell him I was in trouble and had attempted suicide. He never asks my brother how me or his grandchildren are. My brother speaks to him every few weeks but hasn't seen him for a few years as he lives abroad. He tried to see him when he was home for Christmas but evidently my father was too busy. It says an awful lot about my father that he has no friends - he's fallen out with all of them over the years. One of the last times I saw him was at a party for his 25th wedding anniversary. Only six people turned up including me and my husband. Nobody likes him. It's his own fault he has nobody but his wife to rely on.

But today he tripped and had to go to hospital for stitches and has sent my brother a shitty email about having nobody to rely on other than his wife and how I've let him down. I'm absolutely seething with rage. I've tried to reach out to him a few times over the last couple of years and I've had no response. I've sent him a few emails, birthday cards and even his favourite wine for Christmas. I feel like I should contact him but I've had enough of being ignored and my efforts rejected.

KM76710

Kangaroo Manager
SF Pro
SF Supporter
Shepherd Book was an AWESOME character too! You don't seem like a Jayne to me. He was only motivated by money and was quite "the lug"; although his character arc did become a little more multi-dimensional throughout the series. What was that huge gun he had? Bessy?? Big Bertha? His "love affair" with that weapon was rich humor!!!!

I once took one of those silly online tests: which character are you most like on Firefly? I came out Captain Mal. Really not sure what to make of that!!

I love that series and the movie. So many great characters and story-lines. Still can't believe it got cancelled. :(
The name for the rifle Vera. I loved the mystery behind Book's past as in when he was so knowledgeable about anything concerning: military, police, crime and expert with both hand to hand combat and marksmanship.

The name for the rifle Vera. I loved the mystery behind Book's past as in when he was so knowledgeable about anything concerning: military, police, crime and expert with both hand to hand combat and marksmanship.
Yes! Vera!! I think part of Book's character arc was his "dark past," then becoming a Shepherd, and the watcher's imagination as to what engendered that change. He was very resourceful as well. I want to re-watch that series, but need a working DVD player to do so!

Rich, well-written characters all around. Kaylee was a favorite too. Inara was very interesting, but she was so damn beautiful. It was easy to be distracted by her beauty, although she was very smart. I want a space shuttle like hers! :)

PrincessPure

I feel sick to my stomach about all this. I am 23 and never been a night out late by myself. Never got drunk, partied, had sex or even a boyfriend. Never traveled with a friend group. Nothing, nothing, nothing. Always under control, always acting like a good girl so I won't get in trouble. Life is so unfair if I don't get to go to live in Europe next year, indeed. My life depends on that. If I don't get it, it's not worth living anymore.

anona123

I’m feeling extremely stressed and anxious about living in a rapidly growing area. My state is within the top 3 to move to, and I find myself full of anger and rage after living here for over 23 years. If I were to move, it would feel like I’m doing what I’m getting mad at others for doing. I know they desire to live where they want to, but I cannot stop myself from feeling completely overwhelmed and depressed. This feeling intensifies by the day, as I see more and more people and out-of-state plates. It’s hard to be happy and content, and the idea of over-crowding drives me to suicidal ideation. That may sound pathetic, but I can’t help it or stop feeling so dreadful.
I'm stressed about this too. Just my opinion but I feel all our major problems are related to overpopulation and nothing is being done about it. Seems like all we do is encourage it. Like you and some others have mentioned in this thread, areas are dobubling in size. Will that just continue everywhere? Many people just want some space and a quiet life but it seems that's disappearing. I'm not sure what will happen but I'm depressed about it too. I feel so trapped. I have a past I'm trying to deal with and reconcile but then I think, even if I fix everything, will it even matter? Everything seems to be going in a poor direction.

Tor

SF Supporter
I'm stressed about this too. Just my opinion but I feel all our major problems are related to overpopulation and nothing is being done about it. Seems like all we do is encourage it. Like you and some others have mentioned in this thread, areas are dobubling in size. Will that just continue everywhere? Many people just want some space and a quiet life but it seems that's disappearing. I'm not sure what will happen but I'm depressed about it too. I feel so trapped. I have a past I'm trying to deal with and reconcile but then I think, even if I fix everything, will it even matter? Everything seems to be going in a poor direction.
I feel the exact same way about overpopulation. This is one reason why I’m choosing not to have kids, and many my age feel the same. I don’t want to be crammed in an area with a continuous flow of people. You’re right about quiet life disappearing, and I’m having a significantly difficult time accepting it. Everything seems to be getting worse. I feel like all of my efforts are for nothing, sometimes. There are so many problems that need to be addressed, but they won’t be. That sounds pessimistic, but I’m just trying to be a realist. Optimism seems to let me down most of the time these days

KM76710

Kangaroo Manager
SF Pro
SF Supporter
I feel the exact same way about overpopulation. This is one reason why I’m choosing not to have kids, and many my age feel the same. I don’t want to be crammed in an area with a continuous flow of people. You’re right about quiet life disappearing, and I’m having a significantly difficult time accepting it. Everything seems to be getting worse. I feel like all of my efforts are for nothing, sometimes. There are so many problems that need to be addressed, but they won’t be. That sounds pessimistic, but I’m just trying to be a realist. Optimism seems to let me down most of the time these days
Absolutely to both you and @anona123 I know that quite a few years ago in one of the states I have family in where cell reception was not great because it was rural, pastoral the flock of newcomers got the numbers moving in to bulldoze a big section of the local forest as in thousands of acres to build cell towers, and then tried to claim they had improved the area with improved reception and wondered why families that loved the quite and beauty were resentful of how a beautiful area was being transformed into what they considered an urban dump. The Eagles put it nicely in the song The Last Resort with the lyric: You call someplace paradise kissing it goodbye(warping it out of recognition). Joni Mitchell also did well in describing such in Big Yellow Taxi with: They paved paradise and put up a parking lot.

Auri

🎸🎶Metal Star🎵🥁
Safety & Support
SF Supporter
I've been randomly having insomnia again recently. (Difficulty falling asleep, and waking up super early) I might have gotten used to the dose of my sleeping antidepressants. And I'm just tired all the time as a result (which is not my normal). :(

keeping the stray for 1 more week as her spay wound heals is detrimental to me

the vet is trying to trick me to keep her i think,
she didn’t even mark her ears as a sign she is fixed, and expect me to come back for more check ups, fuck you

her being inside has cause me more mental and physical exhaustion than letting her back out, i am snapping at my other cats and everyone else because i am so tired

so i think it is time to release this damn stray back, i am sorry but i’m doing this on my own, it’s not like i’m receiving lots of help, i choose my mental health over her

i had her fixed, and that is as much help as i can give. On January 23 i am releasing her back outside.

1964dodge

Has a frog in the family
Safety & Support
SF Supporter
I've been randomly having insomnia again recently. (Difficulty falling asleep, and waking up super early) I might have gotten used to the dose of my sleeping antidepressants. And I'm just tired all the time as a result (which is not my normal). :(
have you talked to the doctor about the insomnia? you can try different things like maybe melontin for one idea? i hope you can sort it out because a good nights sleep is important.

mike...*hug*shake

1964dodge

Has a frog in the family
Safety & Support
SF Supporter
keeping the stray for 1 more week as her spay wound heals is detrimental to me

the vet is trying to trick me to keep her i think,
she didn’t even mark her ears as a sign she is fixed, and expect me to come back for more check ups, fuck you

her being inside has cause me more mental and physical exhaustion than letting her back out, i am snapping at my other cats and everyone else because i am so tired

so i think it is time to release this damn stray back, i am sorry but i’m doing this on my own, it’s not like i’m receiving lots of help, i choose my mental health over her

i had her fixed, and that is as much help as i can give. On January 23 i am releasing her back outside.
you do a lot for the cats already. as i have said before you can only do so much to help these cats without adverse effects to your health. they are so lucky to have you.

mike...*hug*shake

My brother has forwarded me an email from our father. I haven't spoken to him in five years. It was never really a conscious decision but I'd had enough of his constant racism and homophobia so I didn't phone for a few weeks. And he never phoned me, not even when my brother called him a month later to tell him I was in trouble and had attempted suicide. He never asks my brother how me or his grandchildren are. My brother speaks to him every few weeks but hasn't seen him for a few years as he lives abroad. He tried to see him when he was home for Christmas but evidently my father was too busy. It says an awful lot about my father that he has no friends - he's fallen out with all of them over the years. One of the last times I saw him was at a party for his 25th wedding anniversary. Only six people turned up including me and my husband. Nobody likes him. It's his own fault he has nobody but his wife to rely on.

But today he tripped and had to go to hospital for stitches and has sent my brother a shitty email about having nobody to rely on other than his wife and how I've let him down. I'm absolutely seething with rage. I've tried to reach out to him a few times over the last couple of years and I've had no response. I've sent him a few emails, birthday cards and even his favourite wine for Christmas. I feel like I should contact him but I've had enough of being ignored and my efforts rejected.
These parents treat us like shit and expect devotion for life. Do not get hooked into guilt and/or rage. If you do, you're psychologically becoming "enmeshed" with him which actually draws him closer to you - a psychiatrist told me this. The opposite of love is indifference, not hate.

He sounds like a bigot. You're lucky he has a wife to look after him, although I pity her.

Whatever interaction (or lack of) you may choose, free your mind of him. Do not allow yourself to dwell. I am still in touch with my abusive mother (something about "doing the right thing" that I decided years ago and lived to regret) but I only allow her to occupy my mind during the few times each week I speak to her on the phone, and then I do other things like doing the dishes while listening to her talk (a therapist advised me to).

It's sad to have a parent like this. I tried multiple times to invite my mother into my life for years. When my aunt(not blood) said to me one night at a family gathering when my mother was being overtly rude towards me..."Why do you let her do that to you?'...it was the final piece and the support I needed to release my mother completely and quit trying intermittently to gain some kind of affection from and create relationship with her. I was in my 30's. I did give some care years later when she was dying but that was the few days I knew about the situation and because I'm a nurse and lived in the same city and it was just the kind thing to do for her and my father. And my presence was not wanted by her then either. It is what it is, they are who they are but I'm sorry your efforts to reengage with him haven't brought a reconnection....

Last edited:

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00