• IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT: Please read THIS THREAD about a rebrand for SF.

Post your random thought here!

PrincessPure

Well-Known Member
I failed my anatomy exam last week, not such a big deal since the system in my uni works in a way where u can retake the exam over and over. My next exam in on Thursday which im gonna be retaking anatomy.

But i have to say, i was extremely discouraged when i read students complaining about oral exams. They are indeed unfair, and even if it hasnt yet happened to me, people have had to retake the exam 6 or 7 times before passing. Its discouraging because i had studied and i failed, and it has never happened in my life. Why would the first question decide everything and send u back home??? If it was a paper of 20 written questions, skipping one question wouldnt be such a big deal huh???

And even worse is the freaking favoritism. I dont wanna be a Karen, but i really do feel the foreign students are at disadvantage and have bad luck with the questions they are being asked. The professor can simply not like your face and revenge that way. It hurts. Some people say your faith here with professors has to do with ur skin color. Although people can say weird things and have a blame mentality when they fail. And im light skinned, but who cares??? Im having a hard time judging what is wrong or right. Whether its unfair or its just losers nagging???
My mind has really been twisted and this exam... I feel like i need 2 months of hospitalization after this, thats how much it has been hurting my mental health.
 

MisterBGone

~\_✅`,')
SF Supporter
PP, I am sorry. You may be being discriminated against. Or you may not be. People are human, and this includes obviously Dr.'s as well. Meaning, they can have implicit biases present. But it's no matter or use, in spending any energy on it. For it is a subject, or topic, which is completely & totally out of your control. So every single second you spend thinking about it, is going to be pointless. As you can't fight City Hall. Nor certainly change it. What I would do, is to consider it a learning experience, and also lesson for the real world -- & / of including medicine. As real people who are human and have prejudices, and other preferences that bleed over into their treatment & judgement of others will still persist. Therefore, or in other words, the sooner you can get used to it. And learn to deal with it. Even be accepting of it, maybe. The better off you will be in the long run. Just my two-cents, kiddo! Gotta go..;) Later & good luck on the exam. I wonder why they do them all orally like that? Does it have to do with - practice for how you will be (required to) listen/ing to your patients, in this manner or route, and means or mode of communication? Primarily? Or are they just trying to save paper? Ha! :D J/k. . . Take care, and try not to stress. Think of it like this: most people to some degree, probably struggle with or through medical school. Everybody probably has their topics that are the most difficult, or challenging. I'd be willing to venture a guess, that gross anatomy is one of the more common or popular ones in this regard. Even if it is not "hard," in the sense of learning or understanding. The sheer VOLUME of it/& what is required of you to be able to learn, and to retain, is or does indeed make is a steep gradient for sure. Eventually, it will get easier. My point is that, many or most have suffered or struggled, just as you have here. Both before or as in then - & as in now. And will be more like in the future. So in that way, then, you are more just like the rest, or of the 'normal,' crowd than you may (even actuallly) realize. Though it can seem not that way. That is because you don't have the understanding of being able to peer into or inside of, everyone else's heads. :) Later!
 

puffymilk

making the bed
SF Supporter
I failed my anatomy exam last week, not such a big deal since the system in my uni works in a way where u can retake the exam over and over. My next exam in on Thursday which im gonna be retaking anatomy.

But i have to say, i was extremely discouraged when i read students complaining about oral exams. They are indeed unfair, and even if it hasnt yet happened to me, people have had to retake the exam 6 or 7 times before passing. Its discouraging because i had studied and i failed, and it has never happened in my life. Why would the first question decide everything and send u back home??? If it was a paper of 20 written questions, skipping one question wouldnt be such a big deal huh???

And even worse is the freaking favoritism. I dont wanna be a Karen, but i really do feel the foreign students are at disadvantage and have bad luck with the questions they are being asked. The professor can simply not like your face and revenge that way. It hurts. Some people say your faith here with professors has to do with ur skin color. Although people can say weird things and have a blame mentality when they fail. And im light skinned, but who cares??? Im having a hard time judging what is wrong or right. Whether its unfair or its just losers nagging???
My mind has really been twisted and this exam... I feel like i need 2 months of hospitalization after this, thats how much it has been hurting my mental health.
I'm sorry to hear this. I can understand that sometimes they can be unfair to international/foreign students (I was one myself) and it sucks. I hope things get better for you. Wishing you well.
 

Windhover

meandering home
SF Supporter
There's an online fiend who contacts me from time to time, with consistently negative little bombs of information. I am not sure if I want to hear from her. She never shares her feelings nor states any opinions except about people she despises.
It's always 'this bad thing is happening,' or how do you feel about 'x' tragic occurence.
I don't want non-stop cheery or fake sorts as friends. I guess I wish for at least occasional authenticity and honest sharing. Maybe I'm weirdly & too intense. Oh wait I already know that.
 

puffymilk

making the bed
SF Supporter
There's an online fiend who contacts me from time to time, with consistently negative little bombs of information. I am not sure if I want to hear from her. She never shares her feelings nor states any opinions except about people she despises.
It's always 'this bad thing is happening,' or how do you feel about 'x' tragic occurence.
I don't want non-stop cheery or fake sorts as friends. I guess I wish for at least occasional authenticity and honest sharing. Maybe I'm weirdly & too intense. Oh wait I already know that.
I hope you are able to protect your peace
 

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$15.00
Goal
$255.00
Top