problems with intrusive thoughts

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by barto, Aug 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. barto

barto Well-Known Member

// language cw maybe //

as the title may suggest, ive been having issues with intrusive thoughts—or namely, words—lately. i have had issues with this in the past, but they were more like negative phrases and ideas and occurred at a time in my life where i was a lot less stable.

i mean, at some level its kind of amusing having the word "asswhole" pop into your head, but a lot less so when it happens frequently, at random, and you are unable to do anything about it.

google searching tends to take me to ocd forums (which i dont have) and just show me things like "yeah, i have that too! its completely normal xx" rather than tips to help with it.

so that brings me to the question in all this: does anybody have any tips to help curb this a little maybe?
  2. Damask

Damask Well-Known Member

I have never heard anyone talk about this before, but I feel like this describes something that I myself experience all of the time. Sometimes I even found myself saying the word or phrase out loud. It's weird, but I always assumed it was just me.
  3. me84

me84 Active Member

I have been studdying about the brain. If possible when you realize you are having intrusive thoughts think of a happy memory. When one emotion takes over you need to switch to a very emotional happy memory. It will make your mind switch gears. I recommend buying something with a scent. Something you can carry with you. Get in a room and smell the scent. Flood your mind with good memories. Take it with you. Later when those thoughts come back smell it once again after repitition the good thoughts will come naturally. Your brain is stronger when it can lock those senses togther positivally. I have jad PTSD for years and it works i promise.
  4. afterlifepig

afterlifepig Well-Known Member

i have the most horrible intrusive thoughts all the time. i have ways of dealing with them, i have ways ... basically just combating the thoughts with "affirmations", that kind of thing
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.