• IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT: Please read THIS THREAD about a rebrand for SF.

Professional help or non-help?

#1
There is a huge problem imo talking to anyone about SH. Most people will call somebody on you or if it's a professional you'll be in a mental hospital so fast on at least a 96 hour hold. It's no wonder people are afraid to talk to anyone!!! Yes being in the hospital stops you from any attempts, but doesn't solve the underlying problem. They may refer you to another "professional" who will most likely want to shove more meds down your throat. These meds always have horrible side effects for me. Antidepressants can actually make you more depressed. Idk what my point is exactly, but I've experienced the perils of telling the truth about how I'm feeling.
 
#2
There is a huge problem imo talking to anyone about SH. Most people will call somebody on you or if it's a professional you'll be in a mental hospital so fast on at least a 96 hour hold.
It depends. A lot of people are afraid of being forced to go to the hospital but there's usually a strong financial incentive not to hospitalize people, unless you've got good insurance. Some members here have posted about telling a hospital that they've got methods and a plan, and asking to hospitalized yet getting turned away.

Antidepressants can actually make you more depressed. Idk what my point is exactly, but I've experienced the perils of telling the truth about how I'm feeling.
Meds and therapy are the standard treatments, but there are also other treatment methods.

I've experienced the perils of telling the truth about how I'm feeling
I'm sorry it's been like that. It's all too common for the system to fail.
 

SamB

SF Supporter
#3
I think part of the problem is the threat of medical negligence. No one is ever going to run into issues with making someone go to hospital, it doesn’t matter if that is actually worse for them because sending someone to hospital will always be deemed as the safest option. On the other hand if someone is not sent to hospital and then that person hurts themselves, then the person is open to being sued or losing their job.
 

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$45.00
Goal
$255.00
Top