Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by feathers, Aug 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. feathers

feathers Well-Known Member

Just been prescribed this yesterday for anxiety. Since reporting my ex boyfriend to the police for domestic abuse I have become a nervous wreck. I was dx with depression and anxiety in 2009 (used to have severe panic attacks) and dx with Borderline Personality Disorder earlier this year. But now my anxiety has come back worse than I've ever had it after reporting my boyfriend. Been convinced he's in the house coming to kill me. Convinced my boyfriend was cheating on me. Convinced people are dead, like when my BF was late in for a night out and I was convinced he was dead. Work became a nightmare and the walk home I was 100% convinced I was going to get mugged.

This was the friday and I had a twice as long shift on the Sunday and didn't feel like I was going to be able to get through it so I went to primary care and was prescribed 5 2mg Diazepam tablets to last me until my psych appointment on Monday where I was prescribed 1 weeks worth. I went to the doctors yesterday for a more long term option and he prescribed me Proponalol.

I've read online that it is something you have to take consistently for it to work but the way the doctor described it is that it would work like valium if I took it when needed? :s I would like some clarification and also some experiences of how well it would work? Cheers.

Kaz x
  2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

I think talking to your doctor is best person to find out this information as the medication will work differently for others also your pharmacist is a good person to talk to if you need more information
  3. darkdays

darkdays Active Member

propanol is mainly used for high blood pressure, but is also used for other things. i take it to help control my essential familial tremors which are aggravated by the lithium that i take. i hadn't heard of it being used for anxiety, but it doesn't surprise me. You'll probably start out on a low dose. just watch for any dizziness when getting up from a sitting position or from bed. report it to your doctor if it does happen. i take a 20mg pill 4 times a day, have for a few years now and haven't noticed any side effects. hope it helps you.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.