Prozac for bipolarity?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got a question regarding prozac. I've been on it twice now. Have been taking it for about 5 months this time and it really doesn't make me feel any different. I've been doing lots of reading lately, trying to figure out why I feel the way I do, and I think I may be bipolar. I fit all the characteristics and there's a family history of it (not sure if that means anything). Anyways, I'm just wondering if I should continue on the prozac or talk to my psych about getting on something different that may help me. I just don't have an appointment for a while so I'm wondering if anyone knows this.

edit: just realized this is probably in the wrong forum, sorry

Last edited by a moderator:

LeaveMeAlone

SSRIs aren't likely to help bipolar at all, and can trigger mania in many cases. If you are bipolar you need to be on a mood stabilizer such as lithium. You should tray and make an appointment as soon as you can to talk about it. There is no point you being on a drug that doesn't work.

~Nobody~

Yes, talk to you psych as soon as possible. Well done for doing some of your own research about this (and yes, by the way, bipolar disorder does seem to have a strong hereditary basis).

In the meantime though, don't stop taking your current medication. Talk to you psychiatrist first. Make sure you explain all the reasons you think you may have bipolar disorder, and do mention the family history.

Good luck! :smile: Let us know how you get on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00