Psychotic Disorder NOS?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by tiggersafire, Jan 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tiggersafire

tiggersafire Well-Known Member

This is my latest diagnosis. That and Mood Disorder NOS. I was just wondering if any of you have had any experience with it or know anything about it. I was diagnosed with this during my last hospital stay. Before that, I was diagnosed as Schizoaffective - Bipolar Type, from the hospitalization before that. I had to fill out forms for my disability application, and my current psychiatrist said that I could put Schizoaffective down as my mental illness. I guess I'm just wondering what anyone else's insight or opinion is. It confuses me because in my eyes, Mood Disorder NOS and Psychotic Disorder NOS equal up to be pretty much the same as Schizoaffective in the long run.

2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

Yes exactly i do not know what separating both of the diagnosis does really but that is Schizoaffective disorder to me

3. lightbeam

lightbeam Antiquities Friend

NOS diagnoses mean that you don't fit all the criteria. As we went over today, you are schizoaffective. You match 100 percent of the indicators. If the pdoc says that they are going to go with the NOS diagnoses, take that article at http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001927/ and tell them 'Hey, this was my previous diagnosis, and I match 100 percent of the indicators!' Give them examples.

If they insist, tell them that they aren't trained as a true mental health professional, because they are blind. Because all of us schizoaffectives know what we all go through. We can give examples!

I mean we can give example after example. Mental health professionals are blind most of the time anyway.

4. Sadeyes

Sadeyes Staff Alumni

NOS on any diagnostic code means 'the general condition or state' of the disorder, without further specification as Light said and it is within the category TE said

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.