PTSD is hard to live with

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Suzannenderekh, Oct 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I got the diagnosis about 3 years ago. My family doesn't understand, in fact they still like to tell me that it's all just in my head and not a real thing. The irony in this is most of them have it too. They refuse to acknowledge it or seek any kind of help. This has made my recovery/healing process much more difficult. Thankfully I have a lo of support from my husband but it still bothers me about the rest of my family. Can anyone here relate to this?

2. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

I can relate A LOT. Some people are still living in the dinosaur era and don't believe depression or any mental illness disorder exists and excuse if for laziness or stupidity when in fact they are the ignorant ones. I can relate, feel free to PM me anytime. I also have PTSD, maybe a different kind to you but none the less the same disorder. You can get well and you will with patience and time (hugs) to you xox

p.s You are correct in saying PTSD is hard to live with, you are right it is!

2 people like this.
  3. Thank you for your reply. It's unfortunate that so many people choose to live in ignorance about PTSD and mental illness. It definitely makes it harder to reach out.

2 people like this.
  4. Petal

It sure does make i harder to reach out but not impossible, the professionals are the people you need to be and stay in contact with. They WILL help. How is that for you, are they helping at all?

5. That's another area I need to work on...I haven't been going to my therapist or psychiatrist and wouldn't ya know, I don't need meds so I went off of them a few months ago. Not the best idea I've ever had! Lol.

6. Petal

Yes you should definitely get linked in to the mental health services, i know its hard but i even did it myself today. If you get someone who really cares about their job and how rewarding it is it can be good. Please do see your psych and explain the medications did not work. There are plenty more you could try (remember they can take a while to work) and they might help ease your symptoms, best of luck (hugs)

7. The last meds I was put on were antipsychotics and they actually made me psychotic! It was not good. I couldn't watch my 1 and 2 year olds. I felt like the psych was literally throwing random meds my way without even thinking lol. She was honestly lazy in her "care" for patients and wouldn't listen to you. She seemed to hate her job too but she had also just had a baby so maybe she was loopy from lack of sleep. :D

8. Petal

Lol! I Would settle for that she is lazy with her job. If you feel you are being neglected or treated badly by the psychiatrist then get a new one. I'm on zyprexa,lyrica,valium,sertraline and lexapro and all work fine, the combination of them is just right but if I were to mind children on that amount of medication, I would not be able to do it. So perhaps, just maybe she was taking the children into account when prescribing. See a different doctor and see what they say, you are entitled to a second opinion! Good luck.

3 people like this.
  9. I promise I'll start searching for one tonight. :)

3 people like this.
  10. Petal

Awesome! Can you promise me you won't hurt yourself tonight?

3 people like this.
  11. I won't, no worries about that. I wouldn't put my daughters and husband through the kind of hell that would bring.

3 people like this.
  12. Petal

Great hun, thank you for that. I'd hate to '''see'' you do something to harm the nice gentle person you are, we are always here for you 24/7 :)

3 people like this.
  13. I hate being so sensitive lol, ;) thank you.

3 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.