Quest to find a new psychiatrist

outsource167

I had a rather disappointing session with my psychiatrist today, and I have decided that my mental health, time, and money are too important to be wasted on someone who is simply not helping me.

She had someone who is trying to become a psychologist sit in during my appointment. This made me so uneasy. I wish I would have told her I didn't feel comfortable with this, but it happened so fast and caught me totally off guard. Throughout the appointment, she would interrupt me mid-sentence, and kept badgering me about my social life, which is non-existent due to my severe anxiety and trust issues. I just wanted to tell her "l have no friends", but I really didn't want to open up with that other woman there. Her presence held me back from saying so much. Both of them would even laugh at times that I felt were extremely inappropriate. I was clearly not trying to be funny at all. For example, when I did finally tell her "thank God I have my family because without them I wouldn't have anyone", she actually laughed. I felt so humiliated. I should have walked out at that moment.

I am dealing with trauma from having been bullied the majority of my life, having panic attacks as soon as I wake up, and constantly being bombarded with thoughts of just ending it all. I WISH I could socialize and make friends with ease. How dare you laugh at me you rude, arrogant bitch?

I am embarrassed, ashamed, and feel completely belittled. I have yet to see a mental health professional who is respectful and caring towards me.

My next step is to see a therapist and find a new psychiatrist. I have never been to therapy before, and I'm so scared that it will turn out to be yet another negative experience.

I'm really beginning to lose hope in mental health professionals. I would love some hugs right now :(

Last edited:

rubytigrcat

[QUOTE="Gems, post: 1870062, member: My next step is to see a therapist and find a new psychiatrist. I have never been to therapy before, and I'm so scared that it will turn out to be yet another negative experience.

I'm really beginning to lose hope in mental health professionals. I would love some hugs right now :([/QUOTE]
Many years ago when I was dealing with my mother I went to a psychiatrist who was also my therapist.

Now after decades I think things have changed. Psychs are only taught about meds, not the crucial interpersonal stuff.

Unless you need meds right away I would find a therapist you feel comfortable with and let them make the psych recomendation. That has been much more successful fir me.

Sometimes finding the right person can take a bit but it is totally worth it.

rubytigrcat

[QUOTE="Gems, post: 1870062, member: My next step is to see a therapist and find a new psychiatrist. I have never been to therapy before, and I'm so scared that it will turn out to be yet another negative experience.

I'm really beginning to lose hope in mental health professionals. I would love some hugs right now :(
Many years ago when I was dealing with my mother I went to a psychiatrist who was also my therapist.

Now after decades I think things have changed. Psychs are only taught about meds, not the crucial interpersonal stuff.

Unless you need meds right away I would find a therapist you feel comfortable with and let them make the psych recomendation. That has been much more successful fir me.

Sometimes finding the right person can take a bit but it is totally worth it.[/QUOTE]
Oh, and *hug

total eclipse

SF Friend
Staff Alumni
Oh my that psychiatrist was not professional at all at all. How horrible a thing to do. You should have notified ahead of time and asked if it was ok for a student to be present at your meeting. I am sorry she did this to you. I agree time to get a new Pdoc and yes a therapist will have more insight into your emotions unlike a psychiatrist who main interest is medicating you. Hope you find a kind therapist one that truly listens and cares

sinking_ship

woman overboard
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Wow, that's so unprofessional. I'm sorry you went through that, what an awful experience. I hope you can find a good therapist. Try to be patient - it's about the personality match so the first one might not be perfect. But shit, any therapist should treat you better than that psychiatrist. You don't deserve that. *hug

I have been to see several people in my adult years for counseling....all of them have been woefully inadequate. One man actually told me to just "get over it" (depression) and "pull yourself up by your bootstraps"...one of the stupidest things to ever tell someone. And this was a supposed professional? Then this same man kept asking me over and over if I was attracted to him....he obviously thought he was so extremely attractive that people were wanting him...that was stupid as well. This guy did more harm than good for me.

Petal

~*Mod Extraordinaire*~
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
You sound so much like me. Anxious, no friends, panic attacks. Here's a *hug

I'm sad to hear you were totally caught off guard and feel humiliated, if the psych is not helping, change psychs and save your cash. I wish i could be there to give you a real *hug but i just want you to know I do care *hug

outsource167

@ultrablue Thank you so much for sharing your experience. That sounds absolutely awful. I have been told those phrases more times than I can count and it always angers me. I can't believe an actual mental health professional said that to you, along with asking you if you thought he was attractive? Seriously? What a loser.

outsource167

@Petal I appreciate your response sooo much *hugI want you to know it warmed my heart. I have always admired your encouragement, strength, and generosity that you bring to this site. I feel less alone knowing that you share similar feelings as well. I am so happy that I have cut that psych out of my life! Thank you for the hugs my friend, I really needed them *hug:D

Petal

~*Mod Extraordinaire*~
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
@Petal I appreciate your response sooo much *hugI want you to know it warmed my heart. I have always admired your encouragement, strength, and generosity that you bring to this site. I feel less alone knowing that you share similar feelings as well. I am so happy that I have cut that psych out of my life! Thank you for the hugs my friend, I really needed them *hug:D
Awww, thanks @Gems you're an angel. I appreciate your beautiful words a lot :)

HGL91

SF Supporter
I had a rather disappointing session with my psychiatrist today, and I have decided that my mental health, time, and money are too important to be wasted on someone who is simply not helping me.

She had someone who is trying to become a psychologist sit in during my appointment. This made me so uneasy. I wish I would have told her I didn't feel comfortable with this, but it happened so fast and caught me totally off guard. Throughout the appointment, she would interrupt me mid-sentence, and kept badgering me about my social life, which is non-existent due to my severe anxiety and trust issues. I just wanted to tell her "l have no friends", but I really didn't want to open up with that other woman there. Her presence held me back from saying so much. Both of them would even laugh at times that I felt were extremely inappropriate. I was clearly not trying to be funny at all. For example, when I did finally tell her "thank God I have my family because without them I wouldn't have anyone", she actually laughed. I felt so humiliated. I should have walked out at that moment.

I am dealing with trauma from having been bullied the majority of my life, having panic attacks as soon as I wake up, and constantly being bombarded with thoughts of just ending it all. I WISH I could socialize and make friends with ease. How dare you laugh at me you rude, arrogant bitch?

I am embarrassed, ashamed, and feel completely belittled. I have yet to see a mental health professional who is respectful and caring towards me.

My next step is to see a therapist and find a new psychiatrist. I have never been to therapy before, and I'm so scared that it will turn out to be yet another negative experience.

So sorry that happened! How they behaved was so wrong, but luckily, they’re not all like that.

The almost exact thing happened to me as a teen. I saw a psychiatrist a few times and didn’t like him but my mom forced me to go. After a few sessions, he brought in a few medical students without warning and they were so rude. I was talking seriously about my emotional pain and trauma and they cracked jokes and laughed. I felt embarrassed too!

I DID have more professional psychiatrists after that, but I can say it was hard to trust them after!

outsource167

Thank you so much for sharing, and I am sorry that a similar situation happened to you @HGL91. I can't believe so many people like that exist in the mental health field. It needs to change. Good on you for moving on and finding some professional psychiatrists!

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00