Question about incapacity benefit

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by stinkymouse, Apr 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stinkymouse

stinkymouse Well-Known Member

When i got medically retirement after 12 years as a postman for "serious mental decline" i went on incapacity benefit,and did 16 hours a week "permitted work" for 12 months,after it ended i decided to comtinue with the work so went off IP for 2 weeks...i then had a serious over dose caused by my bipolar depresstion,had a week in hospital and was given mood stabilizers,which i started last week,and have the crisis team visit me every other day...my question is can i start to continue getting IP again after i stopped getting it only 2 weeks before,ive spoken to my crisis teamwho say im intitled to it....but i want to get a social worker to help me fill in the forms again or ring up for me,how do i get a social worker to start with? also will i be able to get disability living allowance to,untill im fit to return to work?any advise will be helpfull

2. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

can your crisis team arrange for a social worker to come and see you? here in ireland they can do referrals like that as part of outpatient treatment. have you asked them? (and sorry if you've already tried that)...

what country are you in? there's the citizen's advice bureau that can help you out, also there might be a patient's advocacy group that can partner up with you to help with the paperwork, as well as any other supports you need right now.

3. stinkymouse

I live in england,i have asked the crisis team to help me get a social worker,3 weeks ago,they say they will,but the problem is 2 days later when they come to my house again its a different member of the crisis team that visit and they either dont read the notes or its not being put down because they say they didnt know i want one...its frustrating cause at the moment im living on my savings.

4. ggg456

ggg456 Guest

First of all ask your Crisis Team for a Welfare Rights Officer. They'll tell you what you're entitled to. If you look up your local Mind website they'd have a list of numbers including, I hope the Welfare Rights Officer.

You could also ring up Mind themselves or Rethink, and let them know of your cirumstances and they'd let you know what you could do.

If ringing is a problem you could email them.

Another option is CAB like dazzle suggested. You could go into their office, they'd be in your local council and ask about benefits.

Or you could ask your MH team for a mental health social worker who could help you get in touch with the right people to advise you about benefits. Not a crisis team member, a social worker.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2008
  5. stinkymouse

Thanks .....I have a Community psychiatric nurses coming on thursday,so im hoping she can help cause at the moment my brain carnt do anything right now....

6. ggg456

ggg456 Guest

Ok, good luck with it all.

7. stinkymouse

thanks buddy your a good lad,and why dont smiles work on my computer?

8. ggg456

ggg456 Guest

not sure. maybe you have it disabled in 'additional options'? :smile:

9. stinkymouse

I see you like to rum it in by putting a nice smily face on your forum...i will have to look why i carnt Grrrrrrrrrrrrr

10. ggg456

ggg456 Guest

:biggrin:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.