• IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT: Please read THIS THREAD about a rebrand for SF.

Question about therapy and medication

MAC0

Y.N.W.A
SF Supporter
#1
Forgive me if this has been posted before

So I have a first appointment with therapy over the phone on may 9th I had some therapy as a kid but never because of depression or suicidal thoughts and I am guessing its changed since I was 12 I am 44 now my question is I am concerned about meds they might give me with my moods and emotions being all over the place week to week and day to day sometimes I have read maybe scare stories about anti depressants stuff like they can acutely lead to suicide and that instead of helping someone the therapist will just had them out like sweets to save them time and others

my question is are they just scare stories is there a downside basically what are the pros and cons well I hope the main pro will be my moods and emotions are more settled
 

Enjoythesilence

Well-Known Member
#2
Forgive me if this has been posted before

So I have a first appointment with therapy over the phone on may 9th I had some therapy as a kid but never because of depression or suicidal thoughts and I am guessing its changed since I was 12 I am 44 now my question is I am concerned about meds they might give me with my moods and emotions being all over the place week to week and day to day sometimes I have read maybe scare stories about anti depressants stuff like they can acutely lead to suicide and that instead of helping someone the therapist will just had them out like sweets to save them time and others

my question is are they just scare stories is there a downside basically what are the pros and cons well I hope the main pro will be my moods and emotions are more settled
Just my experience but my meds come from a psychiatrist and not my therapist. I've found it to be trial and error to get meds that work for me. Takes at least a month to notice any change, for me. I was on one med that lasted for years, until it didn't anymore. The worst side effect I've had is a dry mouth. Never made me more suicidal, but everyone is different. Bring up your concerns with your therapist and make the decision together, to try it or not, and if so which meds.
 

MAC0

Y.N.W.A
SF Supporter
#3
Thanks for the reply as I say I am not sure how this will work not even sure they would suggest meds for me as I said my emotions and moods are all over the place one min I am ok the next I am bad and Samaritans who I am also talking to mentioned that anti depressants or some form of meds might be helpful to calm me
 

Enjoythesilence

Well-Known Member
#4
Thanks for the reply as I say I am not sure how this will work not even sure they would suggest meds for me as I said my emotions and moods are all over the place one min I am ok the next I am bad and Samaritans who I am also talking to mentioned that anti depressants or some form of meds might be helpful to calm me
There are mood stabilizers and anti-anxiety meds as well. A professional should be able to provide recommendations and answer your questions. I know it's hard when you don't know what to expect.
 

MAC0

Y.N.W.A
SF Supporter
#5
yea its not even face to face for the appointment says when I signed myself up that Therapy places still are operating under certain covid restrictions again thanks for the help much appreciated
 
#7
Forgive me if this has been posted before

So I have a first appointment with therapy over the phone on may 9th I had some therapy as a kid but never because of depression or suicidal thoughts and I am guessing its changed since I was 12 I am 44 now my question is I am concerned about meds they might give me with my moods and emotions being all over the place week to week and day to day sometimes I have read maybe scare stories about anti depressants stuff like they can acutely lead to suicide and that instead of helping someone the therapist will just had them out like sweets to save them time and others

my question is are they just scare stories is there a downside basically what are the pros and cons well I hope the main pro will be my moods and emotions are more settled
Very difficult question to answer honestly, as I don't want to scare you away from getting a med that might help. I tried 9 different meds over 18 months. I got PSSD, to which there is no cure, and I've been off meds for almost 2 years now. I also do not feel like myself anymore. I feel more anxiety and constant brain fog. I'll say a prayer for you. Ask a lot of questions, and if you take them, listen to your body/mind.
 

Saint Rita

Believe in yourself!
#8
If I were in your position I would never take a single psychiatric drug because they can make things worse but for some people they work.

As @Darren Smithner mentioned, people can get PSSD which is horrible.

@Darren Smithner I'm sorry that you're suffering from PSSD, but welcome to SF family! I hope you find this place welcoming and helpful and you make many new friends here.
 

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$45.00
Goal
$255.00
Top