Question for anyone who has overcame depression

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by iamjulia, May 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iamjulia

iamjulia Member

How do you start wanting things from life or regaining interest in anything? Do you have to just force yourself to pretend, and hope you don't have to pretend anymore? And do you have the same interests on the other side of depression, or is it more like a cocoon and you're different on the other side?
    Just wondering, thanks
    Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2013
  2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

You start with small things hun because big things seem so unobtainable so small things that use to bring you joy yes to do them and do them until your mind remembers the joy it brough
    you talk toyour doctor get some help there as well once you find joy in the small things again it will give you energy to try bigger things go for walks observe nature sit in a coffee shop things you use to do before depression hit
  3. morning rush

morning rush Well-Known Member

that's a good question...for me I went as far as isolation and then came mom did force me to go out for a while and now I'm out all the time...for at least 7 years I took meds and just stayed home and did nothing...not sure how I got out of it, but I think it has to do with meds, my surroundings....I'm liking anime/mangas again.

I do still have social phobias and panic attacks though, but I refuse to let them win me I force myself to do stuff...I also worked on changing my thoughts, and catching the bad ones, again it takes time, it's hard to change habits that have been with us since we were born but it is doable. Like total eclipse says, take small steps and one day at a time...make yourself a today I'm going to do the it, and then you can say well at least I did that today...even if it's just a few dishes...tell yourself at least you did's good....take it one thing at a time to, don't over charge your schedule, focus on 1 thing...then if you feel like it, do a second thing....

that's how I do stuff...otherwise I get overwhelmed and do nothing...
  4. jimk

jimk Staff Alumni

Severe depression is a real beast.. One tends to just hide, isolating and like you are stuck in concrete!!! Like eclipse said you start. Small..hopefully get so that becomes easier for you.. Then reach a little higher..a friend and or a pro is invaluable.. Slowly things get better..

Julia if you did things that pleasured you before you can do them again,.they are not lost for all time.. People here on the website are fighting the same battles..some even are winning..they can help you!!! Take care out there, Jim
  5. Terry

Terry Antiquities Friend Staff Alumni

As already said, small things.
    Depression strips us of pleasure in anything, but all that you held dear is still there, the depression just makes it all too much of an effort to see it.
    Are you getting any help with the depression?
  6. catecholamine

catecholamine Well-Known Member

For me, the key was medication. Once I was put on an antidepressant that worked for me, everything improved. Sometimes I feel a little sorrow and a little bit down, but it's manageable. It took 4 years and some 20 psychiatric hospitalizations before I found the right medication, but it was a whole different world once I took it and started feeling better. Good luck.
  7. Sais

Sais Well-Known Member

I started wanting things or regaining interest by doing only the things I always loved, or was passionate about. I think we all have Something like this. One single passion, a thing that makes you feel better when you do it, if you cant think of any right now, start jogging. Just a suggestion. :)
  8. iamjulia

iamjulia Member

Thanks all! I've been trying but everything seems tainted now. Maybe 'disenchanted' is the right word? At the risk of sounding completely nuts, I've been copying my cat on really bad days when I can barely do anything but stare and drool (she washes herself, I wash myself or clean something, she explores, I explore etc) dunno how healthy it is though, but she seems to enjoy life, so what the heck.

As far as any help, I've gotten on citalopram, and I do feel less guilty about existing, but not completely, and I'm not sure it really does anything else. I'm trying to find a councilor I can feel comfortable around, but it's going to take some time, especially since I go into 'waitress mode' when I'm uncomfortable. My roommates and acquaintances are nice people, but have some drug/alcohol issues, so I don't want to get too close. (I don't drink at all or do any drugs besides coffee...)
    anyway thanks again, everyone, take care
  9. catecholamine

catecholamine Well-Known Member

If it's not helping you, tell the doctor who prescribed it to you. It can take several tries before you find a medication that works for you. I went through numerous medications before I found one that helped. Everyone is different in what medication will work for them, so keep trying. Tell your doctor when something is not working.
    Some people feel affects from a med if it's working in about a week, more by 2 weeks, and most by a month. I generally give it a month and if it doesn't help by then, it's time to try another.
  10. Alden

Alden Member

Some people experience impacts from a med if it's operating in about per weeks time, more by 2 several weeks, and most by monthly, i usually provide it with monthly and if it doesn't help by then, it's time to try another....
  11. Kirovski22

Kirovski22 Active Member

I had to create my own happiness and do what I wanted personally. I didn't listen to others about how negative I was and how my ideas are not valid. I asked myself "What do I want?" And tried my absolute hardest to achieve it because I knew it was the only way I could get out of this hole I had dug. I had to majorly push myself sometimes to my absolute limits but I got through it and stopped my anti-depressants on my own without anyone elses help. The strength came from within to fight for my happiness
  12. SaraRose

SaraRose Well-Known Member

I keep hoping I can find something that will help me- at least without medications since I'm insurance-less for about 3-4 months. I tried to start reading again since that's something that I really used to love. I used to be able to read a book in a week or less, loved reading every day.

Yet now when I tried to get myself back into reading it just didn't hold the same flair. Instead it just felt...stupid to read...didn't see the point of it. Same with exercising, did one day of it then realized it was really stupid because who's going to see me? No one ever wants to be around me for more then a couple minutes...My cats don't care what I look like.

Ah well, maybe something will work and I can remember why I must of liked life sometime...or I'll just keep faking the happiness (so tired of doing that).
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.