Questions about borderline

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by mpang123, Dec 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mpang123

mpang123 Well-Known Member

Hello! For those who are borderline or know someone with it, could you please describe how it is to you? I'm newly diagnosed with borderline traits and I'm trying to understand myself as I learn from other people's experiences.

2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

Borderline traits is different form being diagnosed with borderline diagnosis You have some of the traits that is displayed in a borderline illness One could be impulsiveness or feeling of abandonment or self harm all are traits of the illness but not all of it

3. mpang123

Thanks TE, those traits you've mentioned are what I have dealt with and am still dealing with it. I hope to hear other people's accounts of their own experience.

4. Wysteria Blue

Wysteria Blue Well-Known Member

You might enjoy Buddha And The Borderline, The Face In The Mirror, and there is a site by a woman in Canada who works with BPD and relatives/friends....her name is AJ Majari. She describes many traits and different ways that people end up displaying or dealing with some of the emotions and thought patterns commonly seen. Hope these resources might help in your search...

5. mpang123

Thank you Wysteria, I wrote them down and will try to read them.

6. SadBk

SadBk Well-Known Member

I was actually relieved to finally know what was wrong with me... something that actually FIT... I would encourage you to look up some books (I particularly enjoy memoirs) and read up on it. Be wary of internet sites that say they are "for those with BPD and those who love someone with BPD" because there's some angry, hurtful crap out there posted by bitter relatives/friends, and you probably feel bad enough about things! I really didn't need to be reading about how I will ruin the life of anyone who gets close to me and "if you meet someone with BPD, RUN. Run as fast as you can" etc. Ugh. Talking to other people with borderline is great, though!

Some of the stuff you read may not sound like you. I read an example somewhere of how very different two people with BPD can be, and I related a lot more to the milder, more passive aggressive person than the explosively angry one. There are many shades along the spectrum. Black & white thinking is a common trait of BPD, and I definitely have that in spades, but I do realize there's a lot of gray here! I've also read that you can grow out of some of the traits as you get older, even without treatment... so what I attributed to recklessness and immaturity in my youth that faded as I got older, may have been more BPD-related than age-specific. That said, I still have the emotional maturity of a teenager :\

Good luck to you!

7. mpang123

SadBk, thank you for sharing. I've read a book about how family and close friends of a borderline person affects their lives. I never read about how it affects the borderline him/herself. I did read and agreed to the description of "a low functioning borderline", which is more passive-aggressive and not angry and lashing at people, but brew in their depression and hurt feelings with suicide attempts to express their feelings and get sympathy and attention, which is not healthy. The other extreme is high functioning borderline, which is anger expressed explosively, abusing others and blame others for all their troubles. I may have not mentioned everything about those two descriptions but I get the idea. But I'm still wanting to know how being borderline affects people in their own ways. Hope I will learn some here. Thank you.

8. SadBk

SadBk Well-Known Member

I'm sure you will learn some if you hang out here a while :)
    I don't post a lot here except in my diary... if you ever feel like slogging through that, there's probably something "borderline"y in most entries. I was diagnosed in April.

9. mpang123

Yeah, I think many people have some traits of it, but they deal with it and life goes on, right?

10. tiggersafire

tiggersafire Well-Known Member

I was diagnosed with Borderline Traits when I was 16. I'm not diagnosed with that anymore, I made a recovery, if that makes you feel better.

11. mpang123

It's a personality disorder, and with the proper treatment through therapy, I believe I can recover too.

12. tiggersafire

tiggersafire Well-Known Member

Yes, I believe you can as well. Especially because YOU believe you can :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.