Read this and thought there was some good advice

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Only1?, Feb 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Only1?

Only1? Active Member

2. ToHelp

ToHelp Well-Known Member

Thanks but which posts struck you as particularly healthy and helfpful? It's a pretty huge page.

3. Only1?

Only1? Active Member

This one I suppose, sorry its sooooo long! but at least this is less than the full page :smile:

Hi Kitten

Please excuse me if this takes a little longer than a normal post, but I've came home, still canned on E and am feeling particularly lucid right now, so here goes.

I was born 3 month early. The trauma of it nearly killed my mum (and me), and must have hit her like a ton of bricks because she had previously lost a little girl from being kicked down a flight of stairs.

Three years later, one divorce and a life on the social did little for my mums mental health. Nor did the fact my dad put away for manslaughter.

I remember as a child my mum having black days, where she would not get out of bed for days on end, complaining of severe headaches, suffering bouts of becoming detached from reality and dark, dark depression.

Now the thing is, with having a family member who is technically nuts, is the fact that they have lots of 'nuts' friends to. It makes sense, I mean they all meet at the same clinic.

For years my mum refused tranquillisers after seeing their disastrous effects on several of her friends (some who tried to commit suicide largely due to the drugs). The doctors tried various new medications until one day they recommended a new drug, a new type of drug, an antidepressant called anfrinil. She only took it on the basis it was prescribed on a lower than normal dose as she was very concerned about new mental illness drugs, especially after seeing how her friends had reacted to other mental health medication.

Now, thankfully, the small dose she takes of anfranil makes her feel human again. The doctors have never diagnosed her as anything specific and through trial and error they found a drug that works for her. I should point out though, that my mum is far from being cured. Last time we had an argument she tried to throw herself out of my car whilst at speed. Afranil allows her to controll her issues, but it does not correct them nor mend them in any real sense of the word. I think real absolution could only be found through many, many hours of a top class therapist.

Several of her friends also got the drug. Some have went into suicidal rages, others have claimed to see terrifying hallucinations of coffins and their gravestones after taking the same drug.

That would indicate to me that doctors prescribing the drug do not really know if its effective or know how to diagnose the exact circumstances that anafrinil would work. In effect, their shooting in the dark.

One of my friends last year tried to commit suicide whilst on anti depressants. Of course, she mixed them with booze and before you could say anything she's screaming and flinging herself down flights of stairs before, on the final night that I heard, run into the living room and proceeded to slash her wrist in front of my mates. Now, I'm not a doctor, but I could tell you it was the drink that was making her mentally unstable. She needed less medication, not more, legally prescribed medication to top of the fucking alcohol.

A point worth noting is this as well. If a patient is potentially of unsound mind then how can you guarantee the papers you are citing are actually valid? I mean the very people you are trying to help are the people most unlikely to make stance against your drugs or complain to the media about their medicine giving them fucking death hallucinations, because to be quite frank, they have far more pressing needs like their mental health.

So out of the countless nut jobs I know, the docs have successfully treated my mum. That is barely a resounding success in the field of mental health. I know people who can rattle along leading a seemingly normal life on their meds, but you spend any time with them and you know their still tapped in the head and the medication is only curtailing the madness, not curing it.

However, in my mums case I honestly believe there is a chemical imbalance at play. If we look at my mums best friend, who's husband owns a massive fishing boat, beautiful bungalow, brand new mercedes every year and each kid (of which there is 4) gets a brand new car with private number plate as soon as they turn 17.

My mums best friend is diagnosed with depression. She's also obese (she eats because she's unhappy) so she also gets fucking pills help her shed weight.

Now I'm sorry, but I do not believe she is fucking depressed. I think she simply realises that even with every worldly possession she can have, it does not buy her happiness. She is unhappy. Not depressed, just fucking unhappy.

Now the doctor puts her on anti depressants. What the fuck? Hows does that help? If you want to cure her then root around and find the cause of the depression (reread unhappiness). Are you suggesting that the magic pills you talk of do a lot more than elevate the persons mood to make them 'feel happier'? Do they contain the insights necessary for that person to find the root of their woes and change it, or does it simply change their mood so they are no longer concerned when they on the drug?

You go to a third world country and things like depression do not exist. People are to busy fighting to live to get unhappy because they had no breakfast that morning or that the kids have no new clothes to go to school with.

In the UK we have doctors prescribing fucking speed pills to school kids for ADD when the kids I've seen with ADD did not need fucking drugs, they needed a hug and support from their parents. Adults crying depression because they realise money cannot buy happiness.

Its a fucking joke on our society and one the medical companies are only to happy to address because it grants them a massive source of revenue. Every fucking ailment of modern life is never seen as the persons fault or simply life, but a mental condition. Your unhappy, your depressed. You cannot concentrate, ADD. Your to fat, obsessive eating disorder (not simply your fucking greedy). The list is endless of the fucking disorders we treat in this country, which largely in my eyes, are not disorders, there just issues that arise with being alive.

Christ, my step gran died last year. In her last ten years she dealt with her son in law dying. Her grand daughter dying. My step grandpa getting Altimezers. Her sister dying. I remember talking to her about it, and she never once let those things hold her back. Until her last few months I used to laugh at my step dad fretting after my gran had sped off to go caravanning with her friend, of whom were both in there 80's! Its funny, how many people who survived a fucking world war are on anti depressants?

Depression is a western made creation to allow people to feel ok about themselves because their unhappy. Boo fucking hoo. Life sucks at times. Fucking grin and bear it and you'll come through stronger at the otherside. Moaning and crying about just leads to a cycle of perpetual negative thoughts which in turn will make you fucking depressed. And if the medical profession touts unhappiness as depression then people will flock to it and label themselves depressed. If you believe anything long enough you will become it.

Virus, no disrespect meant, but if you think you should be happy because you got a double bed n Xbox then its no wonder your unhappy. You need to find something that lifts your spirit. For me, its sitting in the UK in front of the TV with my little cat sat on my lap purring. I find happiness in other peoples/creatures happiness. I bought my ex a diamond ring for Xmas. The joy I got when I explained how precious it really was. When I'm in Scotland I love taking my grandma out to dinner, to make her feel special. These are the things that make life worth living. Making others feel special. That is what happiness is about.

You look at research on the worlds happiest people and its small insignificant places where community is king and people take pride in not only themselves but their neighbours too. I'm happiest when I'm training or when I'm helping others. I'm most grateful when a friend is generous enough to give me their time. These are things which money cannot purchase, you earn them by being a good person.

4. ToHelp

ToHelp Well-Known Member

Thank you, Only!

Anafrinil is clomiprazine hydrochloride, a TCA antidepressant and with strong antiobsessive (anti-OCD) properties. It it is one of the potent ADs on the market.

Yes, the original author provides a lot of insight and challenges our notions about this, this pandemic of "depression" diagnoses in the Western world, a pandemic bolstered and "treated" by Big Pharma.

Do they [doctors] contain the insights necessary for that person to find the root of their woes and change it, or does it simply change their mood so they are no longer concerned when they on the drug?
    That's a very good question.

You go to a third world country and things like depression do not exist. People are to busy fighting to live to get unhappy because they had no breakfast that morning or that the kids have no new clothes to go to school with.
    Yes. Very telling.

Adults crying depression because they realise money cannot buy happiness.
    Insightful and thought-provoking. Very good.

Its funny, how many people who survived a fucking world war are on anti depressants? Depression is a western made creation to allow people to feel ok about themselves because their unhappy.
    Hmm. Well it's certainly NOT a fictional malady, as people have struggled with depression and mental disorders for centuries the world over.

You look at research on the worlds happiest people and its small insignificant places where community is king and people take pride in not only themselves but their neighbours too. I'm happiest when I'm training or when I'm helping others. I'm most grateful when a friend is generous enough to give me their time. These are things which money cannot purchase, you earn them by being a good person.
    Yes but the author here must also take care not to deny the depression exists.

ToHelp

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.