Empathy Only Really struggling with this now

Sunspots

To Wish Impossible Things
Admin
SF Supporter
I've coped pretty well with all this so far. But it's just getting worse and worse and I don't see an end to it. Despite the months of restrictions the numbers keep going up. Now we're back to where we were in March but without the good weather to cheer us up.

Now everything has closed again. No shops, cafés, entertainment. No mixing of households inside or outside. My friends were what's kept me going the last few years and not being able to see them feels like my world has disappeared. It's like there is no world outside of these four walls. Home is so awful and now there's no respite from it anymore. I've done the zoom calls but they're really no substitute.

I know everyone is in the same boat, putting up with the same restrictions and missing their friends and families. I know that the restrictions are for the best but that doesn't make it any easier. I don't want a life where I can't see my friends other than through a screen. I don't want a life where I'm not allowed to leave my local area to have a walk on the beach. I don't want this but there's absolutely nothing I can do to change it.

I know everyone is in the same boat
Yes, but it's just harder for some people than others. Also the lockdown in the UK seems to be more strict than in other places.

There's light at the end of the tunnel now that there's a vaccine. It shouldn't take more than a few more months.

Hugs

Sunspots

Admin
SF Supporter
Thanks May. The government is announcing even stricter lockdown rules tomorrow. I'm not sure what's left for them to take from us.

I'll certainly be queuing up for the vaccine when it's my turn as right now it's the best hope we have but I'm worried it isn't going to be the cure we've been praying for. They still don't know how long its effectiveness will last or if it will protect against the new variants that seem to be springing up.

Ash600

Of dust and shadows
SF Creative
SF Supporter
Thanks May. The government is announcing even stricter lockdown rules tomorrow. I'm not sure what's left for them to take from us.

I'll certainly be queuing up for the vaccine when it's my turn as right now it's the best hope we have but I'm worried it isn't going to be the cure we've been praying for. They still don't know how long its effectiveness will last or if it will protect against the new variants that seem to be springing up.
Hey Lu,

Although it's understandable people's concerns about the new variants, so far at it stands, the scientific community has said that this has not as yet reduced the effectiveness of the vaccine. Of course they are carefully monitoring the situation and no doubt having contigency plans in place.

With any virus, there will be variants, and mutations are a common occurrence. Research on this current lineage (1.1.7) has so far shown that it is any more virulent, evaded the immune system or that vaccines will be less effective against it.

Remember, viruses have only one goal and that is to replicate using a hosts nucleic machinery. What barriers are placed before it can dictate how it changes or mutates. You can call this evolutionary mechanics. So with social distancing being implented, variants which are more adept at transmissibility would become more pronounced.

One thing to bear in mind though, the ideal virus would be one that acts by stealth, ie getting into and out of the host without the host even realising. It could well be that a situation may develop further on down the line whereby the dominant strain would be one producing mild to moderate symptoms like that of a common cold, therefore leading to us humans forgoing quarantine and acting such as if it was a minor cold.

But that's further on down the line. However, the way intensive collaborative research in this area is paying off, not just the vaccines, but actual treatment for the bastard itself, there is a glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel.

Lane

SF Pro
SF Supporter
I hear you. I just read your post and I hope that it gets better. You are so loved that your friends are not going anywhere. But I understand what you're saying about being confined. Very understandable point.

SillyOldBear

Teddy Bears Rule! 🐻
Staff Alumni
Am so frustrated by all of this. I wish we could rely on the information we are given. But it changes often and differs widely depending on the source. My heart aches for the folks in the UK and the incredibly tight lockdown they are being placed under. This just seems to be going on and on and on. Sometimes I find myself wanting to catch the damned disease so I could die. But I know I don't really mean that. I am not big on pain and suffering!

Sunspots

Admin
SF Supporter
For those of us who were already under tier 4 restrictions the new lockdown doesn't change much apart from schools now being shut - luckily my kids are grown up so I won't need to battle with home schooling (be thankful for small mercy's).

Lane

SF Pro
SF Supporter
For those of us who were already under tier 4 restrictions the new lockdown doesn't change much apart from schools now being shut - luckily my kids are grown up so I won't need to battle with home schooling (be thankful for small mercy's).
I often think about people home with small children and wonder how they manage. I know when mine were little going out to parks, etc was a big part of our routine. Poor moms and dads.

Holding my breath

SF Pro
SF Supporter
I guess I am, like many others, trying to cope on both sides. I teach remotely my own classes and support my son doing his own home schooling at the same time. Teaching this time is very stressful and last week was a week from hell. Simply unable to see how we will be able to get through and keep the kids on track. So many changes on a daily basis, complete isolation from the rest of the school, little to no support unless you scream loud enough. Thank goodness for some decent kids who make it worth while. Just occasionally I will see an appreciative face which makes me realise why I'm doing this. They are what's important and why I am still here fighting for them and doing the best that I can. I only hope that I am able to keep my head above water because I feel like I am sinking most of the time.

Lane

SF Pro
SF Supporter
I guess I am, like many others, trying to cope on both sides. I teach remotely my own classes and support my son doing his own home schooling at the same time. Teaching this time is very stressful and last week was a week from hell. Simply unable to see how we will be able to get through and keep the kids on track. So many changes on a daily basis, complete isolation from the rest of the school, little to no support unless you scream loud enough. Thank goodness for some decent kids who make it worth while. Just occasionally I will see an appreciative face which makes me realise why I'm doing this. They are what's important and why I am still here fighting for them and doing the best that I can. I only hope that I am able to keep my head above water because I feel like I am sinking most of the time.
You sound like a great teacher

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$110.00
Goal
$255.00