• IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT: Please read THIS THREAD about a rebrand for SF.

Red Light Therapy for Sciatica Pain?

dandelions

me
SF Supporter
#1
Wondering if anyone is familiar with Red Light Therapy as it might pertain to relieving sciatica pain. It has been recommended to me by a couple people (not from this site) but if I have to spend a hundred or more on a device, and there appears to be so many on the market, who knows which ones are good and which are not and if they really work at all. The pictures all look very similar.

Then many people here and elsewhere have suggested Yoga, Acupuncture, and Physical Therapy as well. The most favorable seem to be for the Acupuncture yet i absolutely detest having things stuck in me. This might be odd coming from a former self harmer, but here it is. I almost come close to literally freaking out when I get stuck with needles if it is more than the brief collection for bloodwork - be it Acupuncture, EMG, I.V. or whatever!

My neurologist presently has an infusion therapy plan in the works and I also have reservations about that. I hear steroids can also have some strange side effects and I’m not sure the trade-off is acceptable to me.

I’d like to use up the more gentle and or benign possibilities first. And I’ve even heard that If you have sciatica issues, there is a good chance that if it does not clear up on its own within several weeks, there’s a good chance it is with you for the long term. Infusion or anything might not actually work anyway. I know that meds have not worked for me aside from Ibuprofen and I have to keep that at a minimum since it has its own set if issues. I do recognize that accepting that anything might not help is counter productive. I do have to try things. So for myself, I’m interested in trying some of the methods with fewer side effects first. Which brings me back to Red Light Therapy. Hoping someone has knowledge about that. Thanks.
 

Holding my breath

SF Pro
SF Supporter
#2
I’ve not heard of or tried Red Light Therapy but it’s good that you are still searching for solutions. If you try it, let me know how it goes.
I take daily anti inflammatories Naproxen and also got some relief from seeing an osteopath. When I was at my very worst, only able to crawl on my hands and knees, they got me walking again. I’ve tried back braces to give extra lumbar support, muscle relaxants, and rub on anti inflammatory gels. All help in their own way to some extent. Sometimes it’s the combination of things which eventually helps. I haven’t tried it but cbd oil is supposed to be helpful as well.
Just a few more ideas to throw into the option pot for you. Hope you find something that works. *hug Xx
 
#4
The most favorable seem to be for the Acupuncture yet i absolutely detest having things stuck in me. This might be odd coming from a former self harmer, but here it is. I almost come close to literally freaking out when I get stuck with needles if it is more than the brief collection for bloodwork - be it Acupuncture, EMG, I.V. or whatever!
I think an acupuncturist could tape press balls (small steel balls) to acu-points, and then let you massage them at home. That's one way of overcoming needle issues.

I've never heard of Red Light Therapy before. I just tried reading a little about it, and it sounds like it's considered "promising", but it's not clear the it can actually treat anything. It's been investigated for treating a range of conditions, but I don't think sciatica is one of them.

Another thing to consider is that home devices are different from the ones used, for example, in a dermatologist's office, and so simply because a study indicates that RLT might help with a condition doesn't necessarily mean home RLT will work as well, or at all.

That said, it appears to be mostly safe, so if you don't mind spending the money for it, it might be worth a try. Any benefit may only be the placebo effect, but imho, that's fine as long as it doesn't cost too much, hurt you, take up too much time, etc. If you're going to try a home device, the ideal thing would be if you could return it easily if it doesn't work.

Yoga and PT sound like they might be worth trying too. If PT is covered by your insurance, that's a bonus.

I hope something can help!
 

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$45.00
Goal
$255.00
Top