• Please read the thread in Forum News and Announcements pertaining to race related discussion on SF - thank you :)

Ideas & Opinions Relaxing

Legate Lanius

I think what I need the most is the ability to relax. I had this guy teach me how to do the job I'm doing for the next month or two (before going back to chronic unemployment and suicidal ideation), and he was constantly saying "stop stressing", "it's fine, relax" even though I didn't think that I was acting in a stressed manor at all. My dad acts in a very stressed manor and I guess I looked as stressed to him as my dad does to me. But he's right in that I usually spend zero minutes in a completely relaxed state. Just now I listened to some music and literally "laid back" to relax, worked pretty well but I don't think I became completely relaxed. I've done a lot of meditation during my days and it usually has the effect of negating negative mental chatter rather than getting the body into a relaxed state (optimal for repairing damage and avoiding further stress-induced dmg).

I don't necessarily have to have rumination or other mental chatter to not feel relaxed, small amounts of stress/anxiety is the normal for me, which means that I have to put in work in order to obtain the healing qualities that relaxation brings.

Share your own tips on how you manage to relax in this thread for us who want to relax. Don't worry if they're not original or the first thing that comes up on Google.

Auri

🎸🎼Metal Star🎼🎸
Safety & Support
SF Supporter
I feel you, stress is my middle name. When I think I look relaxed, people constantly tell me the opposite, which only makes it worse...
I have the (common, I guess) problem that when I'm finally not stressed, I get depressed. It's one or the other if not both, I can't seem to be able to get out of that pattern, never have in my life... but I am more functional at least when stressed, so I guess I pick that.

Either way, what I do to desperately try to minimize the stress is listening to and focusing on my music, going to SF, talking or chatting with nice people about anything else, or taking walks when the weather and world situation allow it. Yeah, these all make me depressed in the long run...

Realistically, medication is probably my only solution.

Legate Lanius

I feel you, stress is my middle name. When I think I look relaxed, people constantly tell me the opposite, which only makes it worse...
I have the (common, I guess) problem that when I'm finally not stressed, I get depressed. It's one or the other if not both, I can't seem to be able to get out of that pattern, never have in my life... but I am more functional at least when stressed, so I guess I pick that.

Either way, what I do to desperately try to minimize the stress is listening to and focusing on my music, going to SF, talking or chatting with nice people about anything else, or taking walks when the weather and world situation allow it. Yeah, these all make me depressed in the long run...

Realistically, medication is probably my only solution.
If you assume a relaxed position and hold it for half an hour, does anything happen? Combined with breathing by pausing before exhalation and slow exhale (shouldn't feel lack of oxygen/co2 overload).

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$380.00
Goal
$255.00