1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Saying goodbye to my nephew

Discussion in 'Grief and Bereavement' started by Justatiredsoul, Oct 11, 2017.

1. Justatiredsoul

Justatiredsoul Well-Known Member

today was different, it felt like it was the goodbye my nephew would have wanted, with everyone out on their surfboards not catching waves just looking out to the horizon.. the funeral yesterday was overwhelming & it was hard to see how devastasted my brother has been I just felt useless..
    He was way too young to go, loved so much, the noisiest person in the room & the life of the party

2. Ash600

Ash600 SF Creative SF Supporter

So deeply sorry for your loss, Soul. Sounds like it was a fine send off with everyone out on their surfboards, looking out to the hoizon. There's no reason for you to feel useless, the fact that you was there probably means so much to your brother and I hope that you can draw comfort from each other to get through this.

Deepest sympathies my friend, thoughts are with you.

3. may71

may71 Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear this Justatiredsoul.

Do you want to say what happened?

4. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Member Safety & Support SF Supporter

I'm very sorry for your loss. Way too young to go. Don't feel useless - just being there I'm sure made an impact. If you need to talk I'm here.

Justatiredsoul and may71 like this.
  5. Walker

Walker Everything Zen Staff Member Safety & Support SF Social Media SF Supporter

Sorry to hear about your nephew. Sending good thoughts to you and your family.

Justatiredsoul likes this.
  6. Justatiredsoul

Thankyoubuddy for you message..that's very true although I feel helpless I have been by my brothers side..
    It was a fine send if he loved surfing, bought back great memories for all of us.

Ash600 likes this.
  7. Justatiredsoul

He was in a car accident may & his friend was driving too fast.. he moved up to the big smoke at 16 & worked full time so once the weekends came around he had money to spend and fun to have, I feel really guilty because I don't think I said enough that I could always pick him up anytime ..anywhere.
    And I was the closest family member he lived near, I'm trying not to feel guilty but it's there..

8. Ash600

Sometimes just by being by someone's side, or letting them know that you are there can be as powerful a gesture as words or actions.

9. Ash600

Buddy, I can understand how you're feeling, those words "what if" or "if only" are two words which may be going through your mind right now. But certain things are out of your hands, this may have been one of them, please try not to feel too guilty over this.

10. dugga

dugga Well-Known Member

Sorry for the loss of your nephew... always sad when people leave before their time's up. I'm glad it was a special send-off. I hope he is somewhere watching over you all.

11. may71

may71 Well-Known Member

Please don't feel guilty about this. For one thing, if you said it once, saying it more times probably would have been counter productive.

For another, there is pretty much zero chance that he would have called for a ride from his aunt when he had a ride from one of his friend's available.

12. Unknown_111

Unknown_111 Forum Buddy Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Sorry for the late message and very sorry for your loss. Just try to remember the good times you had with him and you have no reason to feel guilty at all.