Schizoaffective?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by tiggersafire, Sep 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tiggersafire

tiggersafire Well-Known Member

Hi, my name is Kylene, I'm 19, and have Schizoaffective disorder. I was wondering if anyone else around here has this disorder? I know one or two friends with it, but besides that, I feel kind of alone. I was just wondering if anyone else might have this disorder so maybe I'd have someone to talk to who understands what living with it is like.

2. cloudy

cloudy Well-Known Member

Hi Kylene. I am also schizoaffective. You're not alone. I have been struggling to find the right medication as I have been through 30 or so medications. It is a pain in the ass disorder. I have to force myself to talk to people and deal with severe depression. some of the other things i've gone through are being really paranoid, starting fights, and hearing voices. tell me about how the sz is affecting you. i'm here to talk.

3. tiggersafire

Before my meds, and sometimes a little bit now, too, I used to be really paranoid (wouldn't leave the house, thought people could read my mind, thought people were following me, etc.) I heard voices telling me to hurt myself. I saw cats, mice, rats, and shadowy figures, all that talked to me. I take Haldol, Nozinan, Seroquel, Epival, and Zoloft for it.. They seem to work most of the time.

4. cloudy

cloudy Well-Known Member

my voices are observational or smart ass. sounds like a good medicine regimen. i take perphenazine, cogentin, and clonazepam. i still worry about people following me too.

5. tiggersafire

I was supposed to take Perphenazine. I was originally on Loxapine, but it made me too tired. I was in the hospital at the time and the psychiatrist there wanted to try me on Perphenazine, but decided on Haldol instead. My meds usually work, except for the odd time when I feel like someone's watching me or I hear whispering.

6. cloudy

cloudy Well-Known Member

its a good medication. haldol is a good one if you can get it to work. what do you do to distract yourself from the voices?

7. tiggersafire

Haldol did work for me for about four months.. Now I sometimes hear whispering again. I use DBT (Dialectical Behaviour Therapy) skills, like self soothing and distractions (like drawing, playing games, hanging out with friends or family)

8. cloudy

cloudy Well-Known Member

so basically keeping your mind busy. thats neat. i know that some things will happen despite taking medication. like the voices. i have a theory that some meds cause voices.

9. tiggersafire

I believe that some meds cause voices too. I was on Concerta (longer acting form of Ritalin) for ADHD when I was 15. Then I got tics from it, so my psychiatrist switched to a medicine called Strattera.. Worst medicine ever. I started to hear voices, see cats, think I was a CIA agent.. I kept telling my doctor and he said I was lying. It took me until I was 18 for someone to actually believe me.

10. cloudy

cloudy Well-Known Member

wow. you went through a lot. well i'm glad you got that straightened. i've been able to shut the voices up for a while now.

11. tiggersafire

Yeah, but I'm doing better now. That's good :) I'm glad you've got them to be quiet.

12. cloudy

cloudy Well-Known Member

good to hear. hope you stay well.

13. cloudy

cloudy Well-Known Member

another day in paradise cheerfulfawn.

14. Kaspazzy

Kaspazzy Active Member

I have Schizoaffective disorder as well, I was diagnosed when i was 18. I had been diagnosed with everything from Aspergers to seasonal effective disorder. I am not on medication, I haven't been for 2 years. I can not afford it. No one knows just how bad it is to suffer from something like this, meaning the people around me. I hope that more people like you two come along.

15. Medusa.

Medusa. Well-Known Member

I haven't been diagnosed but I have some symptoms, but everytime I ask my psych what is wrong with me, he just tells me it's just something that happens, and gives me more meds. The hallucinations seem to be okay right now, though I have started hearing voices recently every once in a while, the paranoia isn't the best though. I have major mood swings too. I'm not sure if I have it though, so I hope you don't mind me posting on here.

16. cloudy

cloudy Well-Known Member

post away. as schizoaffectives we should stick together and help each other. you're welcome to post here if you ever need to talk.

17. tiggersafire

Bad day? Feel free to PM me if you ever need to talk :)

18. tiggersafire

Athru and Medusa, I know how you feel.

Athru, I was diagnosed at age 18 too. I'm afraid I won't be able to afford my medication too soon.

Medusa, I went though a lot of doctors and diagnoses before I got diagnosed as Schizoaffective. It took me a long time to find someone who would actually listen. I hope you can find the right help too.

19. Medusa.

Medusa. Well-Known Member

cheerfulfawn, I'm glad you found someone who listens.
    I used to have a good one but I never asked because I didn't care, but since it hasn't stopped I'm getting curious now, I should have a right to know, and if they don't know then they should just say so that's fine too, at least be honest with me. I'm going to see someone new sometime this week, since the one I'm seeing now isn't listening to me. So hopefully the new one will be better.

20. tiggersafire

You definetly have the right to know. I would ask, it never hurts to ask. I hope seeing the new person helps :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.