School.

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Special-Agent-Gibbs, Sep 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Special-Agent-Gibbs

Special-Agent-Gibbs Safety and Support SF Pro SF Supporter

Hi-

I hate school, I get really depressed and occasionally suicidal. I hate going to school, I hate it! I can't deal with it anymore they dont care if I need help or if I am falling behind it is always my fault!!!! It can never be there fault. I don't want to drop-out but they are leaving me with no choices. They don't care that I have a learning disability and I need help that I am not getting. They just say oh he is being lazy. I am not being lazy I CANT DO IT. Then they will say that I am not trying.

Ugh, I am ready to just drop-out or kill myself. Because this is clearly not going to work. I want to cut so badly right now...

Sorry, I kind of went on a rant.....

2. emily83

emily83 Well-Known Member

is their no one in school or out of school you can talk too?. no school councelor, head master, parents...?.

i hope you continue- don't drop out because you'll find if you stick with it, you'll have more experience- and you will also feel so proud of yourself for doing it

3. pickwithaustin

pickwithaustin Staff Alumni

If you have a learning disability, then you should have your parents request an ARD meeting for you so that a specialized education program, IEP, can be developed for you. There are alternatives to regular classroom as well, including, but not limited to special programs and classes such as START, there are programs where you can work at your own pace from home with a teacher who comes to your home one day a week, and there is always also home schooling.

Talk to your parents, or a councelor at school, or use Google to find out what is available in your area. Without doubt though, the best way to start is to request an ARD from the school.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2013
  4. Special-Agent-Gibbs

Special-Agent-Gibbs Safety and Support SF Pro SF Supporter

The school already knows that I have a documented learning disability. As well as PTSD. I have an IEP but they are not taking our input this IEP is very very poorly written.

They just don't care.

5. pickwithaustin

pickwithaustin Staff Alumni

Check with your therapist, doctor, or MHMR (or call NAMI for support) to find out if you can obtain the assistance of a Family Advocate. This is one of the things I have been doing the past several years. As an advocate for families, I can attend ARD meetings at the school with them and help to drive the process in a benefical manner that side tracks the schools resistence, if there is any, and which helps to obtain the best possible plan and solutions for the family and student. Ask your parents if they can research that some for you, perhaps, and find out if there is anyone available where you live who does that.

6. flowers

flowers Senior Member

Hi. I am sorry things are so hard for you right now. Sounds very painful for sure. I hope that what pickwithaustin recommends helps. Hes a very smart guy. But if you need another resource to call you could try calling United way. They have a big list of agencies and orginizations that help people. For free. Tell them your story. Tell them you are looking for an advocate. Tell them why. Tell them what you need. If that doesnt work, call back again and ask someone else. I had to call twice to find the right group that helped me. It was a little non profit group of advocates. The woman was awesome. She was an amazing advocate. In most areas of the country they can be reached by phoning 211. But Pickwithaustin knows a lot about this stuff. So I would go with what he recommends first.

btw. I had a learning disability. And parents who were clueless. I made it through school because the school wanted to pass everyone so they would look like a model of success with their students. I was so dissociated that I couldnt even concentrate. And when I did, there was the dyslexia. So I understand from my own perspective how hard it can be. I did flunk out of Jr. College.

7. scaryforest

scaryforest Banned Member

when at school, had similar experience. plus racism, sexism. bullying.
    i dropped out.
    they took me back last term/semester.
    i flunked nearly everything. had to resit a year later in college. different setting....

especially in this day and age, they should cater better to people with disabilities. makes one a bit angry, you're not getting what you need there.
    thoughts of encouragement sent your way

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.