• Please read the thread in Forum News and Announcements pertaining to race related discussion on SF - thank you :)

Science vs god....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cdpax96

Think of the movie "the exorcism of Emily rose" for a minute. Watching that makes me think of my own situation in a way. I'm a firm believer in God. I don't really associate myself with any "main stream" religion bc I believe our own walk with. God is personal. So I've asked my god to heal my mind & heal me from severe depression,anxiety,& PTSD. I've been through alot in a short amount of time. anyway,none of the meds I've been given work so far. I've tried every non narcotic there is. My doctor explains gently I have chemical imbalances in my brain. Ok then. However,as a believer,I also know that the enemy,Satan Lucifer. Or whomever,can attack you at your weakness especially if your trying to live by the book. So my question is. ..why won't god hear my prayer & heal me from all this? Can't he control the imbalances in my break? Or do I need stronger meds? Is science or God I'm needing to rely on more? When does it stop being a medical problem & start becoming a spiritual one? No preacher or doctor can give me a straight answer. I wish I knew :(

yozhik

I'm not a religious person so if I accidentally say anything offensive it's totally not on purpose and I will apologize. I have a mostly academic understanding of Christianity-- I was raised a half-baked Catholic.

But just as I understand it the power of the Devil is not in attacking people. It is in tempting them/seducing them and them eventually choosing to be agents of evil-- and they pay in Hell, not on Earth. You did not choose to have this imbalance. You did not choose for these things to happen. They just did. And it's horrible. But it doesn't say anything about you spiritually. Much worse people have gotten away with much more. These are just normal reactions to these events-- just the normal reaction to abnormal stress is abnormal.

If there is a God, he lets a lot happen. And not just to you. I really like the quote 'God helps those who help themselves.' Maybe he is watching. Maybe he knows you can pull through and become a stronger person. Regardless there is no reason why science and God shouldn't work together for you. A spiritual angle and a health angle could be helpful. No drug can overpower life events but doctors have a way of helping people in your situation.

Grok

Be Stubborn. Live.
SF Supporter
I strongly believe that god would work through science to support you.

Would you only pray for a broken legs, or be thankful that a Doctor could fix it?

It reminds me of this story:
A fellow was stuck on his rooftop in a flood. He was praying to God for help.

Soon a man in a rowboat came by and the fellow shouted to the man on the roof, "Jump in, I can save you."

The stranded fellow shouted back, "No, it's OK, I'm praying to God and he is going to save me."

So the rowboat went on.

Then a motorboat came by. "The fellow in the motorboat shouted, "Jump in, I can save you."

To this the stranded man said, "No thanks, I'm praying to God and he is going to save me. I have faith."

So the motorboat went on.

Then a helicopter came by and the pilot shouted down, "Grab this rope and I will lift you to safety."

To this the stranded man again replied, "No thanks, I'm praying to God and he is going to save me. I have faith."

So the helicopter reluctantly flew away.

Soon the water rose above the rooftop and the man drowned. He went to Heaven. He finally got his chance to discuss this whole situation with God, at which point he exclaimed, "I had faith in you but you didn't save me, you let me drown. I don't understand why!"

To this God replied, "I sent you a rowboat and a motorboat and a helicopter, what more did you expect?"

Cdpax96

I'm not a religious person so if I accidentally say anything offensive it's totally not on purpose and I will apologize. I have a mostly academic understanding of Christianity-- I was raised a half-baked Catholic.

But just as I understand it the power of the Devil is not in attacking people. It is in tempting them/seducing them and them eventually choosing to be agents of evil-- and they pay in Hell, not on Earth. You did not choose to have this imbalance. You did not choose for these things to happen. They just did. And it's horrible. But it doesn't say anything about you spiritually. Much worse people have gotten away with much more. These are just normal reactions to these events-- just the normal reaction to abnormal stress is abnormal.

If there is a God, he lets a lot happen. And not just to you. I really like the quote 'God helps those who help themselves.' Maybe he is watching. Maybe he knows you can pull through and become a stronger person. Regardless there is no reason why science and God shouldn't work together for you. A spiritual angle and a health angle could be helpful. No drug can overpower life events but doctors have a way of helping people in your situation.
Your right. Part of faith is accepting what can't be seen & choosing to hope for what yet can happen. I do need to think more logically about this & learn not to let overwhelming circumstances put me in a mental "flight" mode. I need to learn to live by facts & not just "feelings" all the time. Feelings come & go,bit facts will always be facts. In my perspective however,my Bible tells me to cast my burdens on him,bc he cares for me. Also that all things work to those who love him. Also he is near to the brokenhearted. These are facts. Sometimes it feels like God is far away,is it a result of bad meds keeping me locked in a state of limbo where the neuro chemical balance can't respond to prayer or getting in a praying state of mind?

Cdpax96

Would you only pray for a broken legs, or be thankful that a Doctor could fix it?

Lol yes I've read this story before. And now that I read it in the state of mind I've been in,I look at it in a whole new light. I've had it explained to me in these terms before too. I believe God has blessed those who become doctors & nurses to help us through the most vulnerable times in life. I pray one day he creates the knowledge for someone to create a cure for mental illnesses. Thank you for putting this ba k into perspective for me

I believe that God is in everything and that God is as much part of us as we are part of God. Doctors and prescribed medicines cannot heal anybody. They never could. It's the Divine spirit within every cell of our physical body that is doing the healing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$150.00
Goal
$255.00