should i go ip?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by skinnylove911, Mar 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skinnylove911

skinnylove911 Well-Known Member

Hiya All

I am stuck, on the 18th March various things happened in one and basically I tried to commit suicide a number of times whilst I was out of the house with a friend. The first episode he had no idea I had done it until 7pm by this time he guessed something was wrong and after telling the truth I told him I had OD'd. Then the second time, I tried again it was on the same day and basically it involved me trying to get out of car whilst it was driving. The next day I was due to have my usual appointment with dr about geting myself back to work, so I quickly wrote him a note explaining what I had done and he was rather concerned for me when i was at the appointment. My parents had no idea this had happened but he said he will get in touch with my shrink (Dr K) Then on Wednesday I saw Dr K and told her everything about what happened how I was feeling. Then she gave me two options either hospital for my safety or daily visits from the crisis nurses and obviously I chose the crisis team, so every day I had them knocking on my door. It's now 5th/6th day of them coming and really things haven't really improved, so they have suggested Inpatient care for few days, obviously when they suggested it the other day I said i would let them know in due course. Now I am stuck on what to do.
    What do I expect from IP, is it scary place? Am I safe to say no? Will I risk getting sectioned if I say no? So I am asking for any advice you can give me. Thanks

Skinnylove911

2. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Hi there, I have had both good and bad experiences in the psych ward. Psychwards are usually pretty boring places, meds at certain time, breakfast. lunch, dinner etc and you will have a bedtime. As for it being scary? If I said no I'd be lying. It can be a scary place at times but that's expected since some have very severe mental health issues. BUT if you are a danger to yourself-it IS the best place to be, you can make friends there too, I met my boyfriend in a psych ward, we have been together 2 years. Not kidding :p

3. skinnylove911

Im just scared if suggest it to me again what they would would do, is a simple voluntary vs involuntary black and white answer?

4. Much afraid

Much afraid Well-Known Member

Skinnylove911 ~ I'm so sad to hear things have been so dark. I've not had IP so I don't know what you can realistically expect. I would think it is a way to get more face-to-face support and contact. It could be good/helpful. Please stay safe. ♥♥♥

5. skinnylove911

I am trying to say safe as much as possible just i have had a few moments when i felt like have gone out of control and most days i act like nothing has happened almost like i forget what's happened as a way of dealing with it.

6. skinnylove911

Hey All
    i decided that inpatient treatment was not for me i realised that if i were go inpatient would be more problems and also my parents are definitely not keen on the idea either. But obviously if the urges and impulsivity get too much or i become more of a risk to myself then i would reconsider bt two weeks after the event then i don't think it would be best way forward. Actually i believe it would make me a lot worse not better and ethically it would be wrong. I know i am risking possible sectioning under the mha but im willing to take the risk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.