• IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT: Please read THIS THREAD about a rebrand for SF.

Should I take a break from therapy?

#1
I haven't been in therapy long, but I'm not sure it's really helping me at all. And they tried to start me on medication but I just can't do it. I am being treated for major depression and anxiety, now just thinking about going to upcoming sessions has me silently crying. Who would I be if I stopped silently crying? I like to feel tears on my face because it feels real. My brain is difficult, but I don't believe that this kind of therapy will help me wrangle myself. [mod edit - methods] But also, if not therapy, what else could I try?
 
Last edited by a moderator:

SamB

SF Supporter
#2
I think with therapy it can take a while and it can make things worse in the short term as it exposes and brings to the front issues. I would recommend you continue for a while before you give up.
There are other things you can try like trying to change your lifestyle, eating well, exercising, taking up meditation or yoga, trying to establish routines.
 
#3
I haven't been in therapy long, but I'm not sure it's really helping me at all
CBT is a good style of therapy if negative self-talk is part of what's making you depressed. If negative self-talk isn't an issue for you, you might want to try a different style of therapy. Do you feel like in principle talking about your experiences is something that you'd look forward to discussing with a therapist?

now just thinking about going to upcoming sessions has me silently crying
Do you want to say why this is making you cry silently? Do you feel like you would be free to cry in front of a therapist if you wanted to?

if not therapy, what else could I try?
These links (to pages on SF) have some info about treatment methods:

Treating Depression - Conventional Treatments

Chinese Herbal Medicine and Acupuncture, World's Second Largest Medical System

Self-Treatment and Miscellaneous
 

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$45.00
Goal
$255.00
Top