Should i tell close friends...?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was wondering what people's thoughts are about telling people you are close to about your suicidal thoughts. I'm doing okay at the moment, but it always lingers in the back of my mind even when I'm doing relatively good. Anyways I mean it from the perspective for helping a close friend to cope. By knowing that I am thinking about it maybe it will help with the shock if it happened. At the same time i don't want to tell just him and then have him feel burdened that he didn't respond right after i told him and feel guilt. Maybe i can tell a couple people together so they won't have the burden of knowing alone.

cloud9

I wouldn't because I have no way of knowing how they would react. Have you ever heard what your friends' thoughts are on suicide. I know friends who say they don't understand suicide because they really just see it as people "giving up." They definitely didn't seem to feel sorry for those who commit suicide. Thi would be the type of crowd I wouldn't want to divulge such information. I guess you'll have to be the judge of your friends and whether they would aim to support you.

shazwackers

Personally I found that its easier to tell professionals.......if I let my family and friends know that I am really low, they automatically say 'have you told your doctor?' They do not want to be involved in the details because they do not know what to say or handle it. And thats just depression so goodness knows how they would handle a conversation including suicide!

However only you know your friends and family, and whether they would handle it.........I wish you all the very best............shaz

Madam Mim

I have told my two best friends, at different times. One (who is female) has completely accepted it (I knew she would). She says she doesn't understand, and has made it clear that she wants me to live, but she also knows there's not much she can do to stop me and respects my right to choose.

The other is male, and I told him by accident when I was having a particularly bad night. I don't know what I expected from him, but he clearly didn't know how to handle it and has never mentioned it since, although he checks on me more often now!

Although my experience has been good, or as good as it gets anyway, I wouldn't recommend telling your friend. You don't know how he'll react, or what he'll do about it. And I certainly wouldn't tell a couple of friends together or they'll gang up on you and have you committed or something!

Mim.

Theone

i dont know about telling a friend but a few of mine found out and they have been very supportive, i know a few dont really completely understand but they try.... its still hard to talk to them about though

PollyAnna

Account Closed
You should tell whoever you trust. A person or persons. It's better knowing now than to know later.
If you need anyone to talk to, I'll be here. :)

Domo

If they are true friends then yes, i think one needs that support.

If they were to react badly then that is not the kind of person you need in your life anyway.

Mental illness doesn't need to be this big, bad secret.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$50.00
Goal
$255.00