should I tell my therapist?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by gchicklet, Aug 31, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gchicklet

gchicklet Well-Known Member

Ok, so I've been having these dreams for the last two months about being abandoned by various people in various situations. I normally don't remember my dreams but these are getting upsetting.

In the latest one it was my therapist. We were in his office and I was sitting where I usually do, but he was doing something else near his desk (I've never seen him use his desk.) I think he was talking to a small kid but I'm not sure.

Either way he had his back to me and I was being completely ignored. My chair was turned sideways to face him and the side table that's normally next to his chair was next to mine. There was a pile of envelopes like you would find in the mail with rubber bands around them and when I picked them up there was one that was for me. It was a form letter telling me that he wasn't going to see me anymore, and even tho I wanted to leave he was blocking the door. (Not on purpose, it just happened to be where he was squatting down and talking to the kid.) It was like I wasn't even there.

I feel like crap and I'm wondering if I should tell him about it.

Any thoughts?

2. NYJmpMaster

NYJmpMaster Have a question? Message Me Staff Member Forum Owner ADMIN

You have a therapist to discuss things that are upsetting and triggering you. Why would you not tell your therapist about something upsetting you so they could help devise coping mechanisms to make these things have less negative impact on you? The situation you explained was a dream I think - so tell him you are having dreams that are upsetting you and if he asks for examples tell him/her.

3. gchicklet

I guess, but now that they involve him I feel really weird about telling him...

4. Just tell your therapist about your dreams. I know it's weird but just let him know this dream upset you a lot.

5. gchicklet

I'm kinda trying to figure it out before I see him on Thursday, but none of the dream interp stuff I've found seems right

6. flowers

flowers Senior Member

I think this is a very appropriate dream to tell your therapist. I would def. go for it. I do not see any way that he would take it personally. Because I do not read that it is really about him as a person. But rather as his role. If it would help, maybe you could write it out and hand it to him. You could even write at the bottom your fear of telling him. But honestly,. I do not see it as a real personal thing about him. Rather about him as a therapist. A professional. ps the child may be you. And the therapist is seeing the child rather thhan the grown up you. Just a thought. But I am not a professional so I do not know

7. gchicklet

That's a possibility, we have talked a lot about when I was a kid, tho while I don't remember ever seeing the kid I had an impression that it was a little boy. Tho I was a huge tomboy as a kid so who knows. I think maybe this one is getting to me cuz I've felt so down the last few days. Not to mention it was different from the other abandonment dreams I've had. Idk, maybe I'm just that screwed up.

8. flowers

flowers Senior Member

I dont see it as a "screwed up" dream. Just probably something that needs to be worked on. Even though it may be frightning to you, maybe I can see it in a more neutral way because I am not expereincing it. I hope that helps.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.