Should they know?

Status
Not open for further replies.
16 months ago I tried to kill myself. I was at home by myself during the weekend. I survived and somehow managed to recover without medical attention. Monday morning I called work and said I'd had a bike accident and needed a couple days rest. Went back to work on Wednesday. I never told anybody.

total eclipse

SF Friend
Staff Alumni
Your family should know your doctor but your work that is something only you and your health professionals need to know if you need sick time off work all work needs to know is your doctor has ordered some time off that all they do not have to be told why

ThePhantomLady

Safety and Support
SF Supporter
It's good to hear that you at least told your therapist, what about your doctor? I don't know what method you used (and please don't tell...) but a lot of methods can cause lasting damage.

Whether or not to tell your family is a tricky one, your therapist might be one to ask about that too...
I have never been able to tell my family about all my attempts, my mother knows I can be suicidal (I had to make her understand I do need therapy... even if she still thinks getting a job will cure everything.)

Sorry I can't give you better advice here. But I do think that confiding in someone, be it a family member or a good friend can help take some of the burden off, and they can help you in your recovery and try to help you against future attempts.

DrownedFishOnFire

Back into the wild where I belong. Out of your way
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Maybe telling your doctor about it might help so they can determine if it had a long term effect on your health. Its only up to you. Once the cats out of the bag that's it. No turning back. You might have family that will not be as supportive while others might be too overbearing. Never know until it happens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00