Sleep aids

Discussion in 'Therapy and Medication' started by Starsha, Nov 17, 2007.

1. Starsha

Starsha Member

So, can anyone tell me what all sort of sleep aids are out there and what you've tried and what worked for you and what didn't work for you.

I have tired everything imaginable. I have horrible insomnia (usually up 48 hours or more, then down for about 8 hours... a vicious cycle), so, any information you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

-----
    Ambien To all long time users of Ambien:
    Do you experience this as well, where you get use to your dosage and it doesn't work any longer? I started out taking 5mg at bed, then about 6 months later they increased it to 10mg, I took that for about 2 years and it stopped working and was increased to 20mg. I take it with my Seroquel and Cymbalta at night and it does seem to work, most of the time.

Who all has switched from the oringal Ambien and have found the new Ambien CR to work for them, and is there a trick to making it work?

-----
    Thorazine:
    This was received in the form of an injection each time I was in the psych hospital and had a breakdown and became out of control and it took them injecting me 3x's (when I was in-patient in the hospital) before it started to work. I even remember the Doctor at the hospital that day saying "that is A LOT of Thorazine for someone her size".

I've not asked my psych about possibly trying it in tablet form and seeing if that might help.

-----
    Klonpin: (1mg)
    I take:
    1mg in the morning
    1mg late afternoon/early evening
    2mg at bed, along with my Ambien, which, seems to be a decent cocktail (along with my 1000mg of Seroquel and 60mg of Cymbalta)
    Klonopin is a life saver to me. It's the only thing that works for my anxiety, the only other thing it works for is taken with Ambien at bed.

----
    Xanax:
    1mg to start (in the am, afternoon, early evening, then at bed)
    It had to be increased so that I was taking

2mg - 1 four bar (am, afternoon/early evening, then at bed)
    finally
    4mg 2 four bars (am, afternoon/early evening, then at bed)

Buy, Xanax has a short life span in the system where Klonopin can be in your system for up to two (2) days before you have a freak out from withdrawals.

Again, just a relaxed calm feeling, not sleepy at all. Good for anxiety though, but, only at high dosages, for me.

----
    Rozerem:
    They tried this on me... I forgot the dose I started, however, they increased it 5x's to higher dosages over the period of 9 weeks, but, still it did absolutely NOTHING for me.

----
    Valium: 10mg to start
    ending with 30mg (over the period of 4 months)

It seemed to work best with the higher the dose, however, it never knocked me out, not even when I took it with my Seroquel and Ambien... it did relax me, but that's about it. It never put me to sleep.

---
    So, can anyone tell me what all sort of sleep aids are out there and what you've tried and what worked for you and what didn't work for you.

I have tired everything imaginable:

-----
    Ambien To all long time users of Ambien:
    Do you experience this as well, where you get use to your dosage and it doesn't work any longer? I started out taking 5mg at bed, then about 6 months later they increased it to 10mg, I took that for about 2 years and it stopped working and was increased to 20mg. I take it with my Seroquel and Cymbalta at night and it does seem to work, most of the time.

Who all has switched from the oringal Ambien and have found the new Ambien CR to work for them, and is there a trick to making it work?

-----
    Thorazine:
    This was received in the form of an injection each time I was in the psych hospital and had a breakdown and became out of control and it took them injecting me 3x's (when I was in-patient in the hospital) before it started to work. I even remember the Doctor at the hospital that day saying "that is A LOT of Thorazine for someone her size".

I've not asked my psych about possibly trying it in tablet form and seeing if that might help.

-----
    Klonpin: (1mg)
    I take:
    1mg in the morning
    1mg late afternoon/early evening
    2mg at bed, along with my Ambien, which, seems to be a decent cocktail (along with my 1000mg of Seroquel and 60mg of Cymbalta)
    Klonopin is a life saver to me. It's the only thing that works for my anxiety, the only other thing it works for is taken with Ambien at bed.

----
    Xanax:
    1mg to start (in the am, afternoon, early evening, then at bed)
    It had to be increased so that I was taking

2mg - 1 four bar (am, afternoon/early evening, then at bed)
    finally
    4mg 2 four bars (am, afternoon/early evening, then at bed)

Buy, Xanax has a short life span in the system where Klonopin can be in your system for up to two (2) days before you have a freak out from withdrawals.

Again, just a relaxed calm feeling, not sleepy at all. Good for anxiety though, but, only at high dosages, for me.

----
    Rozerem:
    They tried this on me... I forgot the dose I started, however, they increased it 5x's to higher dosages over the period of 9 weeks, but, still it did absolutely NOTHING for me.

----
    Valium: 10mg to start
    ending with 30mg (over the period of 4 months)

It seemed to work best with the higher the dose, however, it never knocked me out, not even when I took it with my Seroquel and Ambien... it did relax me, but that's about it. It never put me to sleep.

---
    Soma: 350mg (x'2)

I've taken some 350mg (x's) at bed, but it's just made my stomach feel all icky and made me dizzy and it did make me sleepy but I had to take 2 and then even with taking 2 I would only sleep about 2-3 hours. I've not tried it with my Ambien, so I am not sure how well it works with that.

----
    Restoril:
    I am not familiar with this one, however, I will talk to my psych and see if maybe he can prescribe 5-10 and see it works just as good (of not better) than Ambien.

SO, if there is anything out there that I missed, that I could ask my psych to give me a chance and try with, let me know, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for any information you can provide, it's very appreciated.

~Shawnna

(x-posted)

2. RySp123

RySp123 Guest

Hun, what might work on one will not necessarely work on someone else therefore work with your doctor and psychiatrist till they find what might just work for you.

Perhaps being on so many meds made you unreactive to 'normal' sleep aids. Ask them if this could be the problem. At times adjusting meds dosage does make the difference on how a certain medication will work or be efficient.

I know how you are feeling not sleeping for 48 hours. Crashing when the brain or body can no longer keep up with being awake to sleep an hour than back for x days.

None is doctor here nor can give you advice. Do talk to them and make them listen to your lack of sleep ....... you are deprived of sleep and this in itself affects your hwole system.

Good luck to you.

granny

3. Starsha

Starsha Member

Thank you so much for the response... and I do plan on talking to my psych. I just don't want him to stop my abien I just want something (maybe a weeks worth) to try and see if it's any better and go from there. that way i alway have my abien to fall back on (since it does work, with klonopin, more often than it doesn't. I was hoping for more information from others with ideas of other meds that might work best for you.

Thanks again and take care,

~s